This month is a very special one for MeloTel’s Founder and CEO, John Meloche. On Sunday, January 26th, the big man finally turns the big 4-0! We’d like to invite you to join us in wishing John the very best as he celebrates his milestone birthday and begins a new decade of life. If you know John, however, you’re already aware that he’s happy to receive well wishes, but is not one to request any showering of gifts.
Last year, in celebration of his 39th birthday, John took to his Facebook page to take advantage of the platform’s feature that enables people to request charitable donations as birthday gifts. With your help, he was able to raise more than $1000 for Family and Children’s Services Niagara – an organization very near and dear to his heart.
As their website informs, “a part of the Niagara community since 1898, Family and Children’s Services is among Niagara’s largest child and family serving organizations. As a multi-service organization, we offer a wide range of programs that protect children, strengthen families and help youth and adults to be the best they can be.”
As the 26th of January quickly approaches, John has returned to Facebook to request your assistance in supporting a new charity. To celebrate his 40th, John is showing his support of Windsor-Essex Therapeutic Riding Association. Better known as WETRA, the organization provides the use of therapy horses to children and adults who are contending with mental, emotional and/or physical challenges.
“Nearly 200 persons with special needs receive therapy at WETRA each week,” their website explains, “About 80% of those who are enrolled in the program are children who have developmental, emotional or physical disabilities. The remaining 20% are adults with similar challenges. Children and adults with disabilities such as cerebral palsy, spina bifida, head injuries, post stroke and learning disabilities enjoy the physical and psychological benefits of equine assisted therapies.”
You may recall that, back in November, we blogged about the fact that MeloTel became the official sponsor of one of WETRA’s horses, Scout. With the help of our sponsorship, WETRA has been better able to maintain Scout’s health and overall condition.
The costs of his care include feed, bedding, farrier (foot care), veterinary costs, medication and supplements. In addition to the finances required to keep the all of WETRA’s horses healthy and fed, there is also the cost of the manpower hours needed to train and care for the herd. The horses at WETRA have proven to be vital to the betterment of the emotional and mental health of those who ride them.
And John’s niece, Shaya is first-hand recipient of Scout’s therapeutic benefits. She has had the pleasure of riding Scout herself. As you can tell, WETRA is an organization that is near and dear to the hearts of the entire Meloche family and the extended family, here at MeloTel, as well.
To celebrate John’s forthcoming 40th birthday, and more importantly, to continue to grow WETRA’s ability to assist those with special needs, please kindly donate to John’s Birthday Fundraiser today!