It’s not uncommon for a sales team to struggle. It happens to the best of us. In fact, even the best teams have trouble living up to their reputations. Taking a look at recent results in the NBA Playoffs will tell you that. When it comes to your sales team, however, it’s important for you to be able to find ways to inspire its members when they are at their lowest. When members of your team haven’t performed particularly well, your feedback can do a lot to turn things around.
Here are six of the best ways to provide feedback to your team:
1. Offer private feedback sessions. It’s important to remember that everyone has feelings. And when particular team members are struggling, it’s wise to speak with them privately so as not to put them on the spot or embarrass them in front of their co-workers. Offer kind and encouraging words in the privacy of your office and let your team members know that you are there to help them improve upon their performances. They will appreciate your respect for their privacy.
2. Be upbeat. Even when your employees are performing at their worst, negative feedback shouldn’t be delivered too harshly. Making your team members feel even worse about their struggling performances is counterproductive. Do your best to avoid making statements that sound like threats to the safety of their employment. Use an upbeat tone to communicate that you’re willing to help them improve for their sake as well as for the company.
3. Be honest. Okay, we’re going to be honest with you – stop beating around the bush! Some supervisors and managers are scared to hurt the feelings of their staff members – and that’s a good thing. It’s great to be sensitive to people’s personalities. However, it is important to be direct and to-the-point when offering feedback. Saying “you did a good job” when the rep did not won’t help to foster improvement. Be clear about what improvements you wish to see.
4. Be specific about what you expect. It’s not enough to say, “you need to improve” or “you need to bring your sales up”. Look at the areas where your reps are struggling and be specific about the changes they can make to their approaches to doing their jobs. Are they adequately answering customer questions? Are they properly resolving customer complaints? Be specific about the various ways your reps can improve their individual performances.
5. Don’t take forever to offer your feedback. Immediacy is necessary in all businesses when it comes to feedback. You don’t want to procrastinate and hope that certain problems will just work themselves out. That only encourages problems to continue. To nip certain issues in the bud, you’ll have to address them right away. Pull a rep off the phone right after a call and go through it with him/her. It will improve the very next call he/she takes!
6. Utilize modern technology. In 2016, feedback can be given with greater ease than ever before! MeloTel’s Monitor/Whisper Control Panel allows call centre managers to listen in to the phone calls their reps are taking live and as they happen. It also allows them to subtly drop in to the phone calls and coach their agents without the other parties hearing them. It’s a revolutionary tool for monitoring employee performance and offering feedback.
For more information, please don’t hesitate to contact us at 1-888-MELOTEL or use the “Live Chat Support” feature on our website!
“Imprezzio Marketing has been with MeloTel for 4 years and their service has been outstanding over the years. Their customer support team is always extremely helpful and always responds and resolves any issues that we have. Thank you MeloTel for providing us with such great service. READ MORE"
“When TK Enterprises found MeloTel 2 years ago, it was in a crisis situation. Our previous VoIP provider had left us in the lurch and within days, MeloTel had us back up and running and we’ve never looked back since. We started with VoIP services and have worked with them to bring our company’s technology levels up to be more cutting edge and competitive while reducing costs and mitigating risk the entire time. READ MORE"
“Benjamin Verde Incorporated has been a loyal MeloTel customer since 2013. We are able to provide a variety of Artist and Entertainment related solutions such as Web Hosting, Artist Marketing and Artist Funding to clients across Canada. By utilizing MeloTel’s robust products and services our agents are able to provide fast and efficient customer care to various radio stations, record companies, independent artist as well as popular international brands via Benjamin Verde’s VXCO.net portal. READ MORE"
“As the leaders in promotional advertising with over 25 years experience we strive to satisfy all of our clients’ needs when it comes to marketing them and their businesses. We go over and above to make sure that all of their advertising demands are met with no exceptions. MeloTel and Synergy have been in business together since providing exceptional VoIP and technical services. READ MORE"
“I have been a MeloTel customer since 2009 and wanted to tell you how much my whole office appreciates your services. Life becomes a lot easier when someone is there to help when we need it. That kind of service is why we will remain a loyal customer for many years to come. Thank you! READ MORE"
“The transition to MeloTel has been exceptional on a number of levels. Cost savings of more than 50% compared to our old traditional multi-line system is a welcome benefit, but the service and features are what we are most pleased with. MeloTel gives us the capability to enhance our service to clients with features like “Find Me-Follow Me” which allows us to answer our main office lines from anywhere, at any time with our smart phones or soft phones. READ MORE"
“Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute is a plastic surgery clinic, located in downtown Toronto. On site we have a fully functional, state of the art surgical facility. MeloTel assisted us when we went paperless a couple years ago in replacing and restructuring our computer hardware and network. They have been providing us with IT support ever since. Whether it be remote sessions that are required, or on site visits, the service MeloTel provides is always quick and efficient. READ MORE"
“Global Mentoring Solutions (GMS) is a North American based, white labelled outsourced help desk provider that partners with major ISPs, eLearning Support Providers and mid-market IT Service Providers. With MeloTel’s telephone infrastructure services GMS is able to provide support for over 8,000 technical support interactions per month! GMS has been relying on MeloTel’s expertise and professional support services since 2010. READ MORE"