Many business owners across Canada don’t have the opportunity to meet and greet their customers in person. With so many businesses using the telephone as their chief means of communication, it’s important for them to practice high quality phone skills. They include how to greet customers over the phone, of course. And, unlike when you are face to face with a customer, you have to focus predominantly on the way you sound.
That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t smile though. In past blogs, we’ve commented about how a smile can be “heard” through the phone. Consider the impression that you are making on each and every one of your callers. Without sounding pleasant in the very first word you utter, you stand the chance of turning your caller off of your brand. It’s important to make pleasant and friendly customer service a big part of your company’s repertoire.
Here are six ways to make great impressions over the phone:
1. Have a solid standard greeting. You should have a standard way to say “hello” that incorporates four important elements: a salutation, an introduction of your company, your name and an offer of help. For example, “Good morning, thank you for calling MeloTel, this is John speaking, what can I do to assist you today?” Of course, you can come up with your own version of this. Just remember to smile while doing it!
2. Smile! Okay, so perhaps this should have been first on our list of tips since we mentioned it so early in the blog. Try out this experiment. Record yourself saying your version of the greeting suggested above without smiling. Then record yourself saying the exact same thing while smiling. Notice a difference? When you smile, you practically can’t help but sound as if you’re in a good mood. This will go a long way in endearing your first time callers to you.
3. Show empathy. In many cases, people call companies to have their problems solved. If your company can present a resolution to the issue, you’re in good shape. However, what will really impress a customer is the way you’re able to add the human element to your interactions. “I’m sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with that” or “I totally understand the frustration that you’re experiencing” are two examples of showing empathy that will make good impressions.
4. Be personable and personal. Naturally, it’s important to sound friendly and accommodating. But don’t be afraid to offer a little bit of insight into your personal life to develop a common bond between yourself and the caller. Obviously, no one is expecting you to tell your life story. However, saying things such as “I had the exact same problem with my service last year. It was so annoying” shows that you are more than just a company representative. You’re a person too.
5. Offer resolution timelines. As mentioned earlier, customers generally call up companies in order to have problems solved. But, it’s important to remember that they often want their problems solved quickly. With that said, you should offer up a timeline that you know you’ll be able to resolve their issues within. Give yourself a little leeway so that if your task is completed “early”, it will really impress your new customer all the more.
6. Follow up. You don’t always have to let your customers do the calling. Shortly after resolving an issue had by a customer, give him or her a quick call to ensure that everything is still going well. Often, your follow up calls will be much appreciated. It shows that you care about your client and that you are committed to doing a good job. Making great impressions over the phone will become easier with experience. So don’t be afraid to do some dialing yourself.
For more information about MeloTel’s Commercial Phone Services, please give us a call at 1-888-MELOTEL!
“Imprezzio Marketing has been with MeloTel for 4 years and their service has been outstanding over the years. Their customer support team is always extremely helpful and always responds and resolves any issues that we have. Thank you MeloTel for providing us with such great service. READ MORE"
“When TK Enterprises found MeloTel 2 years ago, it was in a crisis situation. Our previous VoIP provider had left us in the lurch and within days, MeloTel had us back up and running and we’ve never looked back since. We started with VoIP services and have worked with them to bring our company’s technology levels up to be more cutting edge and competitive while reducing costs and mitigating risk the entire time. READ MORE"
“Benjamin Verde Incorporated has been a loyal MeloTel customer since 2013. We are able to provide a variety of Artist and Entertainment related solutions such as Web Hosting, Artist Marketing and Artist Funding to clients across Canada. By utilizing MeloTel’s robust products and services our agents are able to provide fast and efficient customer care to various radio stations, record companies, independent artist as well as popular international brands via Benjamin Verde’s VXCO.net portal. READ MORE"
“As the leaders in promotional advertising with over 25 years experience we strive to satisfy all of our clients’ needs when it comes to marketing them and their businesses. We go over and above to make sure that all of their advertising demands are met with no exceptions. MeloTel and Synergy have been in business together since providing exceptional VoIP and technical services. READ MORE"
“I have been a MeloTel customer since 2009 and wanted to tell you how much my whole office appreciates your services. Life becomes a lot easier when someone is there to help when we need it. That kind of service is why we will remain a loyal customer for many years to come. Thank you! READ MORE"
“Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute is a plastic surgery clinic, located in downtown Toronto. On site we have a fully functional, state of the art surgical facility. MeloTel assisted us when we went paperless a couple years ago in replacing and restructuring our computer hardware and network. They have been providing us with IT support ever since. Whether it be remote sessions that are required, or on site visits, the service MeloTel provides is always quick and efficient. READ MORE"
“Global Mentoring Solutions (GMS) is a North American based, white labelled outsourced help desk provider that partners with major ISPs, eLearning Support Providers and mid-market IT Service Providers. With MeloTel’s telephone infrastructure services GMS is able to provide support for over 8,000 technical support interactions per month! GMS has been relying on MeloTel’s expertise and professional support services since 2010. READ MORE"