You can use a lot of flashy words and vibrant imagery in your advertising if you like. But if your performance as a business doesn’t measure up to its marketing campaigns, it’s bound to lose customers fast. With so much competition out there, it’s easy for members of the buying public to find other businesses that will deliver what you promised you would, but didn’t. Ensuring your brand’s success definitely entails gaining the trust of its customer base.
So how can you earn the trust of your customers? Here are six ways:
1. Always speak to what is in the best interests of your customers. Sure, you can highlight the many great aspects of the products and services you offer. But, if they don’t speak directly to the needs of your customers, none of those great aspects will matter. Dig deeper into what matters most to the people who support your brand. Locate ways to deliver products and services that better the lives of your customers and they will continue to support you.
2. Be honest about what you can provide. Remember again that your customers can go elsewhere if they want to. Be forthright about what you’re able to provide and what you’re unable to provide. Your honesty will be appreciated. It’s usually best to let customers decide for themselves whether or not they wish to find solutions to their problems through your business. If they choose not to, your honesty may encourage them consider you in the future for other solutions.
3. Meet your deadlines. If you say you’ll be able to deliver your product or service by a certain date, be sure to meet that deadline. Customers hate it when they don’t get what they expect on time. Do yourself a favour and give yourself some leeway by proposing a date later than the date you know you can deliver by. That way, you can make a habit of providing your products and services “early”.
4. Be the bearer of bad news when necessary. Again, this has everything to do with being honest. Sometimes, you’re just not going to have what your customer ordered. Other times, you will have made the mistake of making a promise you thought you could keep, but couldn’t. This doesn’t make you a liar – unless, of course, you avoid telling your customer the cold hard truth. Deliver the bad news with a sincere apology and make good on the mistake.
5. Go over and above to regain trust that you’ve lost. We all make mistakes. Maybe you have made a late delivery. Perhaps, you did oversell your product. There are ways to regain the trust of customers, but it will take major gestures. Often, it involves significant discounts or freebies. However, it will always insist upon sincere apologies. Never feel that you’re above saying “sorry”. Doing what is right following a mistake will earn you a solid reputation.
6. Respect your competition. You certainly don’t have to be an advocate for your competitors. But, you definitely don’t need to be bad mouthing them either. It makes you look petty when you discredit your competition. Not mentioning them at all will do you a much better service than attempting to downgrade them. Your customers will notice your confidence and respectfulness and look favourably upon you for it.
At MeloTel, we work tirelessly to ensure that our customers are always happy. Gaining and keeping their trust is a big deal to us. For a dose of what it’s like to be a MeloTel customer, don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-888-MELOTEL or use the “Live Chat Support” feature on our website. Ask us about our VoIP-based Commercial Phone Services. We look forward to being given the opportunity to earn your trust!