In our last blog, we championed the use of email marketing as an effective strategy by which you can boost your business. At MeloTel, we practice what we preach. And, as such, we send out weekly newsletters to our fantastic subscribers. Our company President John Meloche chooses to provide personal touches to his interactions with his clients. Being personal, as well as personable, is just part of the MeloTel way.
There is, of course, a great degree of professionalism that is required in all of your email interactions with your customers. So, it’s important to keep in mind that there are certain do’s and don’ts when it comes to sending your emails. Practicing the art of “email etiquette” is important for business owners. With the absence of facial expressions and body language, your emails run the risk of being misinterpreted. It’s important to take measures so that they are not.
Here are six tips for executing excellent email etiquette:
1. Keep it light. Your emails are meant to be positive interactions that spark conversations and encourage interactions. The last thing you want to do is present yourself in a negative way. Therefore, it’s important to keep your emails light. Doing so includes avoiding the reporting of bad news, disparaging other companies or expressing anger in any way. Also, be mindful of your punctuation and use of capital letters which may convey shouting.
2. Avoid jargon and slang. While it’s important to keep your emails light-hearted, it’s important that they be kept professional. There’s nothing wrong with being friendly and affable, but you never want to come off as juvenile. Be sure to use proper spelling and don’t get caught up in today’s texting world where “4” and “u” are adequate alternatives for “for” and “you”. And, whatever you do, refrain from typing “lol”!
3. Do not disseminate email addresses. Whatever you do, make sure that you use the BCC feature and don’t reveal every email address on your emailing list. People tend to hate this. Not only does the list of addresses make the email look a thousand times longer, but it encourages others to “steal” emails. Most people don’t like being advertised to by unsolicited companies. Be respectful of everyone you are emailing and keep their addresses hidden.
4. Make your subject line clear. Your subject line should be simple and easy to recognize. You can either title it by date if you send regular newsletters, or have an interesting and catchy title to encourage people to open the email. If your recipients aren’t clear about the nature of your email, it will likely be discarded without even being read. Remember that people receive hundreds of emails daily. Make yours worth opening.
5. Create new subject lines when necessary. It’s also important to create new subject lines if the topic of discussion has changed. If someone has responded to one of your emails, but is discussing something different, changing the subject line will help for your respondent to know what your email is specifically addressing. It also helps you to better track your conversation instead of having it get lost in your long list of emails in your inbox.
6. Beware of “reply all”. In many cases, you will receive emails that are addressed to several people. If you wish to respond specifically to the person who sent the email, be sure to hit “reply” instead of “reply all”. Not only can it be embarrassing to have personal conversations unveiled in front of an audience, but that audience usually doesn’t want to have its time wasted reading correspondence that wasn’t meant for it.
It’s also important to use a top-notch emailing system. At MeloTel, we offer Domain, Email and Web Hosting. For more information, give us a call at 1-888-MELOTEL!
“Imprezzio Marketing has been with MeloTel for 4 years and their service has been outstanding over the years. Their customer support team is always extremely helpful and always responds and resolves any issues that we have. Thank you MeloTel for providing us with such great service. READ MORE"
“When TK Enterprises found MeloTel 2 years ago, it was in a crisis situation. Our previous VoIP provider had left us in the lurch and within days, MeloTel had us back up and running and we’ve never looked back since. We started with VoIP services and have worked with them to bring our company’s technology levels up to be more cutting edge and competitive while reducing costs and mitigating risk the entire time. READ MORE"
“Benjamin Verde Incorporated has been a loyal MeloTel customer since 2013. We are able to provide a variety of Artist and Entertainment related solutions such as Web Hosting, Artist Marketing and Artist Funding to clients across Canada. By utilizing MeloTel’s robust products and services our agents are able to provide fast and efficient customer care to various radio stations, record companies, independent artist as well as popular international brands via Benjamin Verde’s VXCO.net portal. READ MORE"
“As the leaders in promotional advertising with over 25 years experience we strive to satisfy all of our clients’ needs when it comes to marketing them and their businesses. We go over and above to make sure that all of their advertising demands are met with no exceptions. MeloTel and Synergy have been in business together since providing exceptional VoIP and technical services. READ MORE"
“I have been a MeloTel customer since 2009 and wanted to tell you how much my whole office appreciates your services. Life becomes a lot easier when someone is there to help when we need it. That kind of service is why we will remain a loyal customer for many years to come. Thank you! READ MORE"
“The transition to MeloTel has been exceptional on a number of levels. Cost savings of more than 50% compared to our old traditional multi-line system is a welcome benefit, but the service and features are what we are most pleased with. MeloTel gives us the capability to enhance our service to clients with features like “Find Me-Follow Me” which allows us to answer our main office lines from anywhere, at any time with our smart phones or soft phones. READ MORE"
“Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute is a plastic surgery clinic, located in downtown Toronto. On site we have a fully functional, state of the art surgical facility. MeloTel assisted us when we went paperless a couple years ago in replacing and restructuring our computer hardware and network. They have been providing us with IT support ever since. Whether it be remote sessions that are required, or on site visits, the service MeloTel provides is always quick and efficient. READ MORE"
“Global Mentoring Solutions (GMS) is a North American based, white labelled outsourced help desk provider that partners with major ISPs, eLearning Support Providers and mid-market IT Service Providers. With MeloTel’s telephone infrastructure services GMS is able to provide support for over 8,000 technical support interactions per month! GMS has been relying on MeloTel’s expertise and professional support services since 2010. READ MORE"