Now that 2015 is in full swing, we imagine that there are many New Year’s Resolutions that you are working on. Here’s hoping they haven’t fallen by the wayside already! At MeloTel, we’re very sensitive to the needs of the many great business owners all across Canada. We know all about the amount of hard work necessary to help for small businesses to thrive. And often, a lot of that hard work goes into hiring the right staff.
Is growing your business by way of adding to your team part of your list of New Year’s Resolutions? If so, you’ll definitely need to sharpen your interviewing skills. With MeloTel being so well-versed in the area of VoIP Telephone technology, it may not surprise you to know that we’ve conducted many a job interview over the phone. As you’re aware, it’s quite different than the face-to-face encounter. Here are six tips to help you conduct great phone interviews.
1. Have your questions written out beforehand. There will be moments when you come up with questions on the fly. Everyone’s personality is different, so their unique experiences, backgrounds, talents and skills may lead your questions in a certain way. But, it only makes sense to be prepared. Be sure to write down your questions and have them in front of you when you’re on the phone. Have a balance between job-related questions and ones that speak to the interviewee’s interpersonal skills.
2. Create an evaluation chart. By the end of your phone call, you will likely know what type of impression you have of the person you are interviewing. However, it’s important to take notes during the call. Create a chart that allows you to assign a number or grade of some kind based on how the job seeker answered each question. Make notes on important traits to determine if your interviewee is detail-oriented, self-motivated or a team player.
3. Ask interesting and amusing questions. As much as you are looking to be impressed by the job seeker, it is your job to do a little impressing of your own. Remember, your interviewee likely has options. Besides, you want to build a rapport with anyone who may be working for you anyways, right? Don’t be afraid to ask questions such as “What’s your favourite colour and what does it say about your personality?” and “If you were an animal, which one would you be?”
4. Be prepared to cut them off. Some people will really go heavy into the “trying-to-impress-you” game. It’s nice for people to give detailed answers, but you’ll want to be sure that you don’t spend your entire day listening to someone ramble on and on. Find a polite and courteous way to stop applicants from giving run-on, take-forever-to-complete answers to your questions. You may want to begin the interview by stating that you’re looking for answers to be brief.
5. Listen for tone and inflection. Because your interview is being conducted over the phone, your applicants don’t have the ability to use body language to their advantage. This is especially important if the people you are interviewing are applying for jobs that require them to be on the phone. Do they have pleasant or agitated tones? Do they sound upbeat or bored? Can you tell if they are lying to you or telling the truth?
6. Leave time for questions. As an interviewer, it’s only natural that you will be doing most of the question asking. However, you’ll want to encourage your job seekers to ask any questions they may have about your company or the job positions that are available. The more questions they have, the more likely they are to be interested in being hired. This will help you to determine if you’ll want to bring the applicants into the office for face-to-face meetings.
For more information on our VoIP Telephone services, please call us at 1-888-MELOTEL!
“Imprezzio Marketing has been with MeloTel for 4 years and their service has been outstanding over the years. Their customer support team is always extremely helpful and always responds and resolves any issues that we have. Thank you MeloTel for providing us with such great service. READ MORE"
“When TK Enterprises found MeloTel 2 years ago, it was in a crisis situation. Our previous VoIP provider had left us in the lurch and within days, MeloTel had us back up and running and we’ve never looked back since. We started with VoIP services and have worked with them to bring our company’s technology levels up to be more cutting edge and competitive while reducing costs and mitigating risk the entire time. READ MORE"
“Benjamin Verde Incorporated has been a loyal MeloTel customer since 2013. We are able to provide a variety of Artist and Entertainment related solutions such as Web Hosting, Artist Marketing and Artist Funding to clients across Canada. By utilizing MeloTel’s robust products and services our agents are able to provide fast and efficient customer care to various radio stations, record companies, independent artist as well as popular international brands via Benjamin Verde’s VXCO.net portal. READ MORE"
“As the leaders in promotional advertising with over 25 years experience we strive to satisfy all of our clients’ needs when it comes to marketing them and their businesses. We go over and above to make sure that all of their advertising demands are met with no exceptions. MeloTel and Synergy have been in business together since providing exceptional VoIP and technical services. READ MORE"
“I have been a MeloTel customer since 2009 and wanted to tell you how much my whole office appreciates your services. Life becomes a lot easier when someone is there to help when we need it. That kind of service is why we will remain a loyal customer for many years to come. Thank you! READ MORE"
“The transition to MeloTel has been exceptional on a number of levels. Cost savings of more than 50% compared to our old traditional multi-line system is a welcome benefit, but the service and features are what we are most pleased with. MeloTel gives us the capability to enhance our service to clients with features like “Find Me-Follow Me” which allows us to answer our main office lines from anywhere, at any time with our smart phones or soft phones. READ MORE"
“Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute is a plastic surgery clinic, located in downtown Toronto. On site we have a fully functional, state of the art surgical facility. MeloTel assisted us when we went paperless a couple years ago in replacing and restructuring our computer hardware and network. They have been providing us with IT support ever since. Whether it be remote sessions that are required, or on site visits, the service MeloTel provides is always quick and efficient. READ MORE"
“Global Mentoring Solutions (GMS) is a North American based, white labelled outsourced help desk provider that partners with major ISPs, eLearning Support Providers and mid-market IT Service Providers. With MeloTel’s telephone infrastructure services GMS is able to provide support for over 8,000 technical support interactions per month! GMS has been relying on MeloTel’s expertise and professional support services since 2010. READ MORE"