In our last blog, we discussed the importance of having an email signature. For a number of reasons, it’s just the professional thing to do. However, there are many other aspects to a professionally-sent email. As we alluded to before, sending an email may seem like the easiest thing in the world to do. But, when you’re running a business, it’s important to be mindful of all of the ways your forms of communication represent your brand.
Here are six emailing rules that will make your brand look good:
1. Reply to all of your emails. It’s no different than a phone message. When you get an email and you ignore it, you run the risk of insulting its sender. You don’t want to give anyone the impression that you’re either not checking your emails, or that you’re not concerned about their business. Every email is important. Many of them may only require a single sentence as far as replies go. Just make sure to leave no email unreturned.
2. Don’t reply if the email isn’t addressed to you specifically. How do you get emails that aren’t addressed to you? Perhaps, you’re part of a mailing list. Maybe you were added in the CC or BCC lines. If any of the above scenarios are the case, you don’t necessarily have to reply. In many instances, you are receiving these emails for your information only. If you are addressed directly, then you know it’s worthwhile to reply.
3. Remember your attachments. How often have you received an email that indicates that there is an attachment, only for there to be no attachment at all? Annoying, right? Sure, you could follow up with an apology email that includes the forgotten attachment, but how professional would that make you look? It’s no different than proofreading – another important emailing rule. Be sure that your attachments have been included before you click “send” on your emails.
4. Be thorough with your responses. From time to time, you’re bound to receive emails that include a lot of questions. You should receive such messages as excellent opportunities to “strut your stuff”. Be sure to answer each and every question, leaving no stone left unturned. Your attention to detail will be greatly appreciated by your return email’s recipient. In many cases, the long list of questions will be a sender’s way of seeing how much attention to detail you can pay.
5. Update the subject lines when necessary. How often have you been part of an email thread that begins with one topic, but transitions into another? Eventually, the original subject heading ceases to make sense. Keep the subject headings relevant by changing them when the subject matter of the emails changes. This will keep both you and your respondent on the same page with regards to what is being discussed.
6. Master email tone. What is that, exactly? Well, we all know that emails are void of an actual voice, body language, facial expressions, emphasis and inflections. What that means is that it’s of extreme importance that you choose your words carefully in order to communicate the proper tone. Many things can be misinterpreted simply because they are being typed instead of spoken. Be sure that the tones of your emails are clear – courteous and professional, always.
At MeloTel, we offer our customers Domain, Email & Web Hosting. We don’t claim that it’s the cheapest in our industry. And that’s because it’s the best that money can buy! Our services help even the smallest of companies to establish a Fortune 500 configuration. As well, we do not share IPs and all communications are protected by encrypted SSL certificates for both incoming and outgoing mail.
For more information, please don’t hesitate to contact us at 1-888-MELOTEL or use the “Live Chat Support” feature on our website!
“Imprezzio Marketing has been with MeloTel for 4 years and their service has been outstanding over the years. Their customer support team is always extremely helpful and always responds and resolves any issues that we have. Thank you MeloTel for providing us with such great service. READ MORE"
“When TK Enterprises found MeloTel 2 years ago, it was in a crisis situation. Our previous VoIP provider had left us in the lurch and within days, MeloTel had us back up and running and we’ve never looked back since. We started with VoIP services and have worked with them to bring our company’s technology levels up to be more cutting edge and competitive while reducing costs and mitigating risk the entire time. READ MORE"
“Benjamin Verde Incorporated has been a loyal MeloTel customer since 2013. We are able to provide a variety of Artist and Entertainment related solutions such as Web Hosting, Artist Marketing and Artist Funding to clients across Canada. By utilizing MeloTel’s robust products and services our agents are able to provide fast and efficient customer care to various radio stations, record companies, independent artist as well as popular international brands via Benjamin Verde’s VXCO.net portal. READ MORE"
“As the leaders in promotional advertising with over 25 years experience we strive to satisfy all of our clients’ needs when it comes to marketing them and their businesses. We go over and above to make sure that all of their advertising demands are met with no exceptions. MeloTel and Synergy have been in business together since providing exceptional VoIP and technical services. READ MORE"
“I have been a MeloTel customer since 2009 and wanted to tell you how much my whole office appreciates your services. Life becomes a lot easier when someone is there to help when we need it. That kind of service is why we will remain a loyal customer for many years to come. Thank you! READ MORE"
“The transition to MeloTel has been exceptional on a number of levels. Cost savings of more than 50% compared to our old traditional multi-line system is a welcome benefit, but the service and features are what we are most pleased with. MeloTel gives us the capability to enhance our service to clients with features like “Find Me-Follow Me” which allows us to answer our main office lines from anywhere, at any time with our smart phones or soft phones. READ MORE"
“Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute is a plastic surgery clinic, located in downtown Toronto. On site we have a fully functional, state of the art surgical facility. MeloTel assisted us when we went paperless a couple years ago in replacing and restructuring our computer hardware and network. They have been providing us with IT support ever since. Whether it be remote sessions that are required, or on site visits, the service MeloTel provides is always quick and efficient. READ MORE"
“Global Mentoring Solutions (GMS) is a North American based, white labelled outsourced help desk provider that partners with major ISPs, eLearning Support Providers and mid-market IT Service Providers. With MeloTel’s telephone infrastructure services GMS is able to provide support for over 8,000 technical support interactions per month! GMS has been relying on MeloTel’s expertise and professional support services since 2010. READ MORE"