In our last blog, we excitedly introduced our brand new Monitor & Whisper Control Panel! This great service – as you may have already read – provides call centre managers with the ability to listen in on the live calls taken by their employees. It not only allows for monitoring, but it also enables supervisors to “whisper” information to their reps during their live calls. The service greatly increases a company’s ability to provide excellent customer service.
This is what makes the service so great! It’s a tool that can be used on a regular basis to help phone agents learn while on the job. The more they learn, of course, the better at their jobs they will be. It’s important to be accepting of feedback. It’s one of the best possible ways to improve upon one’s skills. As a business owner or manager, your ability to provide helpful feedback can go a long way in helping your company to thrive.
Here are five ways to provide employee feedback effectively:
1. Know the personalities of your staff members. This is important. You’re just not going to be able to speak to each of your employees the same way. Some have thicker skin than others. Of course, you never want to come off as brash or rude. But, sometimes, you do need to provide your feedback quickly. Just make sure you’re using the appropriate tones and inflections for the appropriate employees. The purpose of your feedback is not to hurt anyone’s feelings.
2. Use the “sandwich” technique. For some of your more sensitive phone reps, the “sandwich” technique may be in order. This is when you provide negative feedback while offering kind words at the same time. Start with the positives (the first slice of bread), offer the constructive criticism (the meat in the middle) and then end with a positive statement (the second slice of bread). Yes – it’s a lot like “sugar coating”, but it’s a bit more effective.
For example, “I really liked the way you spoke to that client. You have a very friendly demeanour in your voice that works very well. It’s important, however, to provide our customers will all of the information they require, and I noticed that you left out an important point about the date your customer will receive his package. Keep that in mind for next time, because you’re doing a great job so far.”
3. Be specific. As noted in the example listed above, you’ll want to pinpoint the specific areas of concern that you may have with your employee. Your feedback should be unique for each person that receives it. Instead of saying something like “You need to be more polite”, offer feedback that clarifies exactly how your phone rep can do a better job in the area of politeness: “Be sure to say ‘thank you for calling, we appreciate your business’ the next time you end your call.”
4. Don’t put it off. Offering feedback – especially when it’s negative – isn’t exactly a call centre manager’s favourite thing to do. Don’t procrastinate though. Getting it out of the way is your best bet. It helps your employees to not get used to their ways of doing things that may not work. If you delay your feedback, it only serves to hurt the overall impression of your business as employee performance will likely not improve.
5. Offer personal insight. Nobody’s perfect. And that includes you! Don’t be afraid to offer personal stories about your own shortcomings to the employees you give feedback to. Let them know that you are also human and therefore, you’ve made mistakes. This helps to alleviate some potential tension and put the minds of your employees at more ease. Feedback that includes a bit of humour certainly can’t hurt.
For more information about our Monitor & Whisper Control Panel service, call 1-888-MELOTEL or use the “Live Chat Support” feature on our website!
“Imprezzio Marketing has been with MeloTel for 4 years and their service has been outstanding over the years. Their customer support team is always extremely helpful and always responds and resolves any issues that we have. Thank you MeloTel for providing us with such great service. READ MORE"
“When TK Enterprises found MeloTel 2 years ago, it was in a crisis situation. Our previous VoIP provider had left us in the lurch and within days, MeloTel had us back up and running and we’ve never looked back since. We started with VoIP services and have worked with them to bring our company’s technology levels up to be more cutting edge and competitive while reducing costs and mitigating risk the entire time. READ MORE"
“Benjamin Verde Incorporated has been a loyal MeloTel customer since 2013. We are able to provide a variety of Artist and Entertainment related solutions such as Web Hosting, Artist Marketing and Artist Funding to clients across Canada. By utilizing MeloTel’s robust products and services our agents are able to provide fast and efficient customer care to various radio stations, record companies, independent artist as well as popular international brands via Benjamin Verde’s VXCO.net portal. READ MORE"
“As the leaders in promotional advertising with over 25 years experience we strive to satisfy all of our clients’ needs when it comes to marketing them and their businesses. We go over and above to make sure that all of their advertising demands are met with no exceptions. MeloTel and Synergy have been in business together since providing exceptional VoIP and technical services. READ MORE"
“I have been a MeloTel customer since 2009 and wanted to tell you how much my whole office appreciates your services. Life becomes a lot easier when someone is there to help when we need it. That kind of service is why we will remain a loyal customer for many years to come. Thank you! READ MORE"
“Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute is a plastic surgery clinic, located in downtown Toronto. On site we have a fully functional, state of the art surgical facility. MeloTel assisted us when we went paperless a couple years ago in replacing and restructuring our computer hardware and network. They have been providing us with IT support ever since. Whether it be remote sessions that are required, or on site visits, the service MeloTel provides is always quick and efficient. READ MORE"
“Global Mentoring Solutions (GMS) is a North American based, white labelled outsourced help desk provider that partners with major ISPs, eLearning Support Providers and mid-market IT Service Providers. With MeloTel’s telephone infrastructure services GMS is able to provide support for over 8,000 technical support interactions per month! GMS has been relying on MeloTel’s expertise and professional support services since 2010. READ MORE"