Email is a fantastic technological innovation. Of course, by today’s standards, email is nothing new. We’ve been sending and receiving them for approximately two decades now. And, within the business world, they’ve pretty much become mandatory in order for companies to function. Because email is such an important business tool, however, it’s important to utilize the technology in as professional a manner as possible.
Doesn’t it seem like some people have taken email for granted? Emails can be sent so quickly and easily on so many different devices that many of us tend to treat them no differently that we would text messages. It’s important to remember that emails and text messages are not the same things. Consider that the word “mail” is still involved in “email”. Do you even remember what it’s like to handwrite a letter and send it off in the mail?
If so, you’ll remember that they involve particular salutations, greetings and closings. Now, consider the fact that when you send emails on behalf of your company, you are representing a brand. Are you using slang terms, abbreviations and other text message-like tendencies that you would never have incorporated in a regular letter? Communicating on behalf of your business via email demands a sense of professional etiquette.
Here are five ways to maintain it:
1. Use professional subject lines. Keep in mind that many of your recipients will be just as busy as you are during their business days. As a result, it would be wise to label your emails so that their recipients quickly understand the nature of the messages and their senses of urgency. As well, proper subject headings can help to avoid having your messages end up in junk mail folders. Surely, you don’t want your important messages to be overlooked.
2. Address the recipient by name. As mentioned earlier, standard letters have kind salutations that address the individuals that they are intended for. There’s no reason that this feature should be eliminated from modern day emails. This is especially important if you’re working with a new client. You should know exactly who you’re addressing. So if you’re not sure who your recipient is, it would be wise to find out before sending the message.
3. Be clear about your intentions. Emails don’t need to be lengthy. In most cases, it’s probably best that they are brief. Remember, again, that your recipients are likely to be very busy. Getting to the point quickly will serve you best. Just be sure to outline the purpose of your email within its body. Include all necessary information and contact methods so that its recipient can get in touch with you expeditiously about the matter.
4. Avoid slang terms. To reiterate an earlier made point, your business emails are representative of your brand. Even if you have a personal friendship with your recipient, you’ll want your email to read as professionally as possible. Again, try to keep your text messaging style and your emailing style separate. Your emails should read as if they were written on paper and sent in the mail. Keep in mind that they are still forms of mail, after all!
5. Include appropriate closings. Considering that you are still sending “mail”, don’t forget to end them off the way you would standard letters. A “sincerely” or even a simple “thank you” would suffice before leaving your name at the end of your message. Yes, don’t forget to include your name as well. It’s a best practice to never take anything for granted when sending emails on behalf of your business. Don’t assume the recipient is aware of who you are.
Now that you have the know-how, you’ll need the right service. To get more information about MeloTel’s Domain, Email & Web Hosting services, give us a call at 1-888-MELOTEL or use our website’s “Live Sales Chat” feature!
“Imprezzio Marketing has been with MeloTel for 4 years and their service has been outstanding over the years. Their customer support team is always extremely helpful and always responds and resolves any issues that we have. Thank you MeloTel for providing us with such great service. READ MORE"
“When TK Enterprises found MeloTel 2 years ago, it was in a crisis situation. Our previous VoIP provider had left us in the lurch and within days, MeloTel had us back up and running and we’ve never looked back since. We started with VoIP services and have worked with them to bring our company’s technology levels up to be more cutting edge and competitive while reducing costs and mitigating risk the entire time. READ MORE"
“Benjamin Verde Incorporated has been a loyal MeloTel customer since 2013. We are able to provide a variety of Artist and Entertainment related solutions such as Web Hosting, Artist Marketing and Artist Funding to clients across Canada. By utilizing MeloTel’s robust products and services our agents are able to provide fast and efficient customer care to various radio stations, record companies, independent artist as well as popular international brands via Benjamin Verde’s VXCO.net portal. READ MORE"
“As the leaders in promotional advertising with over 25 years experience we strive to satisfy all of our clients’ needs when it comes to marketing them and their businesses. We go over and above to make sure that all of their advertising demands are met with no exceptions. MeloTel and Synergy have been in business together since providing exceptional VoIP and technical services. READ MORE"
“I have been a MeloTel customer since 2009 and wanted to tell you how much my whole office appreciates your services. Life becomes a lot easier when someone is there to help when we need it. That kind of service is why we will remain a loyal customer for many years to come. Thank you! READ MORE"
“Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute is a plastic surgery clinic, located in downtown Toronto. On site we have a fully functional, state of the art surgical facility. MeloTel assisted us when we went paperless a couple years ago in replacing and restructuring our computer hardware and network. They have been providing us with IT support ever since. Whether it be remote sessions that are required, or on site visits, the service MeloTel provides is always quick and efficient. READ MORE"
“Global Mentoring Solutions (GMS) is a North American based, white labelled outsourced help desk provider that partners with major ISPs, eLearning Support Providers and mid-market IT Service Providers. With MeloTel’s telephone infrastructure services GMS is able to provide support for over 8,000 technical support interactions per month! GMS has been relying on MeloTel’s expertise and professional support services since 2010. READ MORE"