For the most part, the MeloTel team is of the belief that all businesses strive to provide their customers with excellent experiences. Placing unbeatable customer service at the top of our list of priorities, we still are well aware that not all customers are going to be 100% satisfied 100% of the time. In the event that you encounter an irate customer, it’s important to understand that you have an opportunity to make a very good impression.
You see, it’s fairly easy to get along with a happy customer. It’s the ones who are upset that present challenges. When you react in ways that not only lessen feelings of aggravation but actually change opinions, you know you have provided a high level of customer service. As mentioned, it’s not all that easy. After all, you are human. And no one likes being yelled at. So what are the best ways to appropriately handle irate customers?
Here are five ideas:
1. Let them speak their minds. When a customer is already upset, it’s important to do whatever it takes to not worsen his/her mood. That means avoiding interruptions. Don’t cut your customer off when he/she is explaining a grievance. Giving customers the opportunity to speak is the first step in getting them to calm down. In many situations, it’s understandable that customers are angry. Let them express their feelings before you attempt to offer solutions.
2. Express empathy. Now that you’ve let your customer get everything off his/her chest, it’s time to show some compassion for the situation. Show that you’ve listened and that you understand the source of the frustration by using empathy statements such as “I can completely understand where you’re coming from. If I were in your shoes, I’d feel the same way”. Such an offering of comprehension will pave the way for you to offer a solution your customer will listen to.
3. Beware of your tone. This is especially important for customer service representatives who are handling customer complaints over the phone. Be careful not to sound sarcastic or irritated in any of your responses. Naturally, that would only exacerbate your customer’s anger. Communicating in a soft and pleasant tone is your best bet if you wish to not only remedy the matter at hand, but maintain your customer’s loyalty. It’s all about showing respect.
4. Don’t contradict your customer. We recently had a colleague inform us about an incident at a restaurant that involved him complaining about the temperature of his meal. After telling his server that it was cold, the server responded by saying “most people prefer it that way”. Needless to say, this did not please our colleague. There’s really no reason to offer your own personal opinion simply to oppose what your customer has said.
5. Ask questions. Don’t assume that just because you are in the customer service position you know exactly how to service your customer. Instead, ask questions that pertain specifically to the problem at hand. Become aware of how the complaint originated and what may have been the root cause for the concern. As well, go ahead and ask the customer what he/she feels your company can do to provide a solution. It may help to quickly resolve the entire issue.
As mentioned, the MeloTel team takes customer service very seriously. To experience our own special brand of customer service, please don’t hesitate to contact us. Be sure to ask us about our many hosted services including our VoIP-based Commercial Phone Services. You can either give us a call at at 1-888-MELOTEL or use the “Live Chat Support” feature on our website. It’s located in the bottom right corner!
“Imprezzio Marketing has been with MeloTel for 4 years and their service has been outstanding over the years. Their customer support team is always extremely helpful and always responds and resolves any issues that we have. Thank you MeloTel for providing us with such great service. READ MORE"
“When TK Enterprises found MeloTel 2 years ago, it was in a crisis situation. Our previous VoIP provider had left us in the lurch and within days, MeloTel had us back up and running and we’ve never looked back since. We started with VoIP services and have worked with them to bring our company’s technology levels up to be more cutting edge and competitive while reducing costs and mitigating risk the entire time. READ MORE"
“Benjamin Verde Incorporated has been a loyal MeloTel customer since 2013. We are able to provide a variety of Artist and Entertainment related solutions such as Web Hosting, Artist Marketing and Artist Funding to clients across Canada. By utilizing MeloTel’s robust products and services our agents are able to provide fast and efficient customer care to various radio stations, record companies, independent artist as well as popular international brands via Benjamin Verde’s VXCO.net portal. READ MORE"
“As the leaders in promotional advertising with over 25 years experience we strive to satisfy all of our clients’ needs when it comes to marketing them and their businesses. We go over and above to make sure that all of their advertising demands are met with no exceptions. MeloTel and Synergy have been in business together since providing exceptional VoIP and technical services. READ MORE"
“I have been a MeloTel customer since 2009 and wanted to tell you how much my whole office appreciates your services. Life becomes a lot easier when someone is there to help when we need it. That kind of service is why we will remain a loyal customer for many years to come. Thank you! READ MORE"
“The transition to MeloTel has been exceptional on a number of levels. Cost savings of more than 50% compared to our old traditional multi-line system is a welcome benefit, but the service and features are what we are most pleased with. MeloTel gives us the capability to enhance our service to clients with features like “Find Me-Follow Me” which allows us to answer our main office lines from anywhere, at any time with our smart phones or soft phones. READ MORE"
“Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute is a plastic surgery clinic, located in downtown Toronto. On site we have a fully functional, state of the art surgical facility. MeloTel assisted us when we went paperless a couple years ago in replacing and restructuring our computer hardware and network. They have been providing us with IT support ever since. Whether it be remote sessions that are required, or on site visits, the service MeloTel provides is always quick and efficient. READ MORE"
“Global Mentoring Solutions (GMS) is a North American based, white labelled outsourced help desk provider that partners with major ISPs, eLearning Support Providers and mid-market IT Service Providers. With MeloTel’s telephone infrastructure services GMS is able to provide support for over 8,000 technical support interactions per month! GMS has been relying on MeloTel’s expertise and professional support services since 2010. READ MORE"