It is likely that you spend a lot of time on the phone talking to your clients. For most business owners, telephone conversations are daily practices. However, in this day and age, many conversations are had over the internet. So there stands a chance that a good number of your conversations take place over email. Similar to a phone conversation, an email cannot connote body language and facial expressions.
But unlike a phone conversation, an email cannot showcase your tone of voice. Arguably, email conversations make it harder to make good first impressions. If you’re using email to communicate with any of your first-time customers, it’s really important to be mindful of a few choice methods by which you can do so professionally. But what can be done in exchange for a pleasant tone of voice?
Here are five ways to make good first impressions via email:
1. Use a professional email address. In all likelihood, the very first thing that your first-time customer will see when receiving your email is your email address. By now, you should have an address that incorporates your business domain name. Using a Gmail or Hotmail account may not always look all that professional. However, if you are using a personal account, be sure to use an address that is reflective of your brand. Avoid such addresses as email@example.com.
2. Use a professional greeting. Avoid, “hey, what’s up?” or “How’s it going?” There’s nothing wrong with coming off as friendly and affable, but you always want to be taken with a degree of seriousness. To earn respect, you must first give it. Offer a “hello” and use the person’s name to begin developing your rapport. Be careful not to abbreviate the person’s name unless you know that he or she prefers being referred to as such.
3. Reply quickly. Receiving an email is not much different than receiving a voicemail. The person who left it for you expects a reply within a short amount of time. Try to avoid reading emails and saying that you’ll “get to them later”. The person who sent you the email is waiting for you to respond. The longer you take to do so, the worse the impression you give that person. How quickly you return the message may be the difference between securing and losing a new client.
4. Be careful of the “reply all” button. Many people have gotten themselves into some pretty hot water for not realizing that they’ve clicked the wrong button when replying to emails. If you receive an email that was sent to multiple addresses and you only want to reply to the sender specifically, click “reply” NOT “reply all”. As you’re likely aware, making a mistake in this department will have numerous people reading a reply that was not meant for them.
5. Proofread! In the business world, there is almost nothing worse than receiving an email that is full of spelling mistakes and grammatical errors. It truly makes the sender look unprofessional. Treat your emails the way you would any other important business document. Go over it and make sure that it reads exactly as you want it to. Omit errors as much as possible and give yourself the best chances to give great impressions each and every time you click “send”.
At MeloTel, we know a thing or two about doing business via email since Domain, Email & Web Hosting are among our most popular services. We know the importance of having a dependable hosting service, especially in this day and age when so many of us are communicating over the internet. For more information, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-888-MELOTEL!
“Imprezzio Marketing has been with MeloTel for 4 years and their service has been outstanding over the years. Their customer support team is always extremely helpful and always responds and resolves any issues that we have. Thank you MeloTel for providing us with such great service. READ MORE"
“When TK Enterprises found MeloTel 2 years ago, it was in a crisis situation. Our previous VoIP provider had left us in the lurch and within days, MeloTel had us back up and running and we’ve never looked back since. We started with VoIP services and have worked with them to bring our company’s technology levels up to be more cutting edge and competitive while reducing costs and mitigating risk the entire time. READ MORE"
“Benjamin Verde Incorporated has been a loyal MeloTel customer since 2013. We are able to provide a variety of Artist and Entertainment related solutions such as Web Hosting, Artist Marketing and Artist Funding to clients across Canada. By utilizing MeloTel’s robust products and services our agents are able to provide fast and efficient customer care to various radio stations, record companies, independent artist as well as popular international brands via Benjamin Verde’s VXCO.net portal. READ MORE"
“As the leaders in promotional advertising with over 25 years experience we strive to satisfy all of our clients’ needs when it comes to marketing them and their businesses. We go over and above to make sure that all of their advertising demands are met with no exceptions. MeloTel and Synergy have been in business together since providing exceptional VoIP and technical services. READ MORE"
“I have been a MeloTel customer since 2009 and wanted to tell you how much my whole office appreciates your services. Life becomes a lot easier when someone is there to help when we need it. That kind of service is why we will remain a loyal customer for many years to come. Thank you! READ MORE"
“Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute is a plastic surgery clinic, located in downtown Toronto. On site we have a fully functional, state of the art surgical facility. MeloTel assisted us when we went paperless a couple years ago in replacing and restructuring our computer hardware and network. They have been providing us with IT support ever since. Whether it be remote sessions that are required, or on site visits, the service MeloTel provides is always quick and efficient. READ MORE"
“Global Mentoring Solutions (GMS) is a North American based, white labelled outsourced help desk provider that partners with major ISPs, eLearning Support Providers and mid-market IT Service Providers. With MeloTel’s telephone infrastructure services GMS is able to provide support for over 8,000 technical support interactions per month! GMS has been relying on MeloTel’s expertise and professional support services since 2010. READ MORE"