Many of MeloTel’s clients are the type of company owners who conduct a lot of business over the phone. As a result, they make great use of our VoIP-based Commercial Phone Services, knowing that being able to maintain crystal clear communication over the phone is a key ingredient to their business’ success. That being said, it’s also of vital importance to employ talented customer service representatives.
Part of the talent that comes with being an excellent phone rep is the ability to effectively communicate with people without seeing them face-to-face. Lacking body language, facial expressions and physical gestures, a phone rep still needs to be able to build a rapport and gain the confidence of the customer he/she is speaking to over the phone. It’s a harder thing to pull off than you may expect. So what techniques are necessary to do so?
Here are five ways to make your company a pleasure to call:
1. Put a smile on your face before taking the call. This wouldn’t be the first time we’ve recommended the all-important smile while speaking on the phone. We mentioned earlier that facial expressions can’t be seen during a phone conversation – but they can still be heard! Believe it or not, smiling has a big influence on the tone of your voice. It will help you to sound a lot more pleasant and friendly.
2. Don’t eat the receiver. Have you ever been to a local concert and noticed that the young up-and-coming performer was holding the microphone a bit too close to his/her mouth? This generally provides a distorted sound. The same can be said if your mouth is too close to the receiver of your phone. To sound as clear as possible, you’ll want to put a small distance between your mouth and the phone – approximately two fingers of space is a good bet.
3. Remember that it’s not a race. Sure, customers enjoy receiving expedient customer service. But there’s never really a good reason to rush through your calls. So, slow it down and pace yourself. Speaking too quickly, as if you’re in a race to finish your call, may only serve to improperly address the needs of the caller. Be sure to speak in a clear tone, enunciate your words and speak slow enough to ensure that you’re being understood.
4. Avoid interruptions. Not only is interrupting your caller bound to create a sense of tension that is counterproductive to the business relationship, but it’s also liable to limit the amount of correct information you receive in order to do your job right the first time. Adequately addressing customer inquiries is done through active listening. Be sure to listen attentively to ensure that you know exactly what needs to be done in order to resolve your customers’ issues.
5. Address the caller by name. Is referring to a caller as “sir” or “ma’am” polite enough a gesture? Perhaps, in some cases, it is. But, if you’re really looking to provide top-level customer service, be sure to address the caller by name. Depending on your business type, you may want to confirm whether or not a first name basis is appropriate. Your customers will appreciate the personal touch you give your interactions.
For more information on our Commercial Phone Services, please don’t hesitate to contact us at 1-888-MELOTEL or use the “Live Chat Support” feature on our website!
“Imprezzio Marketing has been with MeloTel for 4 years and their service has been outstanding over the years. Their customer support team is always extremely helpful and always responds and resolves any issues that we have. Thank you MeloTel for providing us with such great service. READ MORE"
“When TK Enterprises found MeloTel 2 years ago, it was in a crisis situation. Our previous VoIP provider had left us in the lurch and within days, MeloTel had us back up and running and we’ve never looked back since. We started with VoIP services and have worked with them to bring our company’s technology levels up to be more cutting edge and competitive while reducing costs and mitigating risk the entire time. READ MORE"
“Benjamin Verde Incorporated has been a loyal MeloTel customer since 2013. We are able to provide a variety of Artist and Entertainment related solutions such as Web Hosting, Artist Marketing and Artist Funding to clients across Canada. By utilizing MeloTel’s robust products and services our agents are able to provide fast and efficient customer care to various radio stations, record companies, independent artist as well as popular international brands via Benjamin Verde’s VXCO.net portal. READ MORE"
“As the leaders in promotional advertising with over 25 years experience we strive to satisfy all of our clients’ needs when it comes to marketing them and their businesses. We go over and above to make sure that all of their advertising demands are met with no exceptions. MeloTel and Synergy have been in business together since providing exceptional VoIP and technical services. READ MORE"
“I have been a MeloTel customer since 2009 and wanted to tell you how much my whole office appreciates your services. Life becomes a lot easier when someone is there to help when we need it. That kind of service is why we will remain a loyal customer for many years to come. Thank you! READ MORE"
“Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute is a plastic surgery clinic, located in downtown Toronto. On site we have a fully functional, state of the art surgical facility. MeloTel assisted us when we went paperless a couple years ago in replacing and restructuring our computer hardware and network. They have been providing us with IT support ever since. Whether it be remote sessions that are required, or on site visits, the service MeloTel provides is always quick and efficient. READ MORE"
“Global Mentoring Solutions (GMS) is a North American based, white labelled outsourced help desk provider that partners with major ISPs, eLearning Support Providers and mid-market IT Service Providers. With MeloTel’s telephone infrastructure services GMS is able to provide support for over 8,000 technical support interactions per month! GMS has been relying on MeloTel’s expertise and professional support services since 2010. READ MORE"