In our last blog, we discussed the fact that answering your phone professionally is a key ingredient in establishing your company’s highly-regarded reputation. Answering the phone may seem like a simple task, but it can have huge implications. The same can be said about the way you get off the phone with your customers. It’s important for you to disconnect your calls in as just a professional manner.
So how can you ensure that you’re ending your phone calls professionally? Here are five ways to do that:
1. Be sure to complete the “business” portion of the call. It’s natural for you to have a lot on your plate each day. You can’t spend all day talking to your callers about topics that aren’t relevant to your business. You may get caught up in small talk from time to time – and that’s fine, for the most part – but to move on to your next task, it’s important that you make sure that your business is handled. Before getting off the phone, be sure to have addressed all business-related matters.
2. Be super nice about it. There will be times when you’ll need to get off the phone in a rush. It’s important that you choose your words carefully. Be sure to offer a kind apology for having to get off the phone and offer to call your customer back if your conversation wasn’t fully completed. Sounding too abrupt, condescending or rude will not do your company any favours. Do your best to be polite about the way you inform your caller that the call must end.
3. Set time limits for your calls. As previously mentioned, small talk is often a part of business calls. There’s nothing wrong with it, as long as it is helping you to establish a rapport with your caller. However, you can’t spend all day chatting. Give yourself time limits so that you know how long you’ll be willing to spend on the chit-chat. Smoothly transition the small talk into business-related matters, so that you can ensure your call is over within a set amount of time.
4. Take advantage of pauses in conversation. There will be times when your callers will ramble on…and on and on and on. We’ve all been on calls like that. And we all fear that we’ll be rude if we cut the caller off in the middle of his or her sentences. In situations like these, it’s important to wait for those all-important pauses. Be sure to jump in with such statements as “I’m happy to hear your vacation went so well, Mike. It sounds like it was fun. Is there anything else I can do to help you today?”
5. Provide alternatives. Phone calls may not always be necessary in order to resolve the issues had by your customers. In some cases, emails or web chats may be sufficient. At MeloTel, we have established the “Live Chat Support” feature on our website to enable our online visitors to ask us questions without having to pick up their phones. When you’re on the phone with your customers, let them know about any alternatives to calling so that you can move on to your next call more quickly.
At MeloTel, we love taking phone calls. We’re only too happy to discuss our incredible services and offer them to Canadian business owners who are looking to impress their own customers. We’re standing by to take your calls right now! To learn more about MeloTel’s Commercial Phone Services, please don’t hesitate to contact us at 1-888-MELOTEL or use the “Live Chat Support” feature on our website!
“Imprezzio Marketing has been with MeloTel for 4 years and their service has been outstanding over the years. Their customer support team is always extremely helpful and always responds and resolves any issues that we have. Thank you MeloTel for providing us with such great service. READ MORE"
“When TK Enterprises found MeloTel 2 years ago, it was in a crisis situation. Our previous VoIP provider had left us in the lurch and within days, MeloTel had us back up and running and we’ve never looked back since. We started with VoIP services and have worked with them to bring our company’s technology levels up to be more cutting edge and competitive while reducing costs and mitigating risk the entire time. READ MORE"
“Benjamin Verde Incorporated has been a loyal MeloTel customer since 2013. We are able to provide a variety of Artist and Entertainment related solutions such as Web Hosting, Artist Marketing and Artist Funding to clients across Canada. By utilizing MeloTel’s robust products and services our agents are able to provide fast and efficient customer care to various radio stations, record companies, independent artist as well as popular international brands via Benjamin Verde’s VXCO.net portal. READ MORE"
“As the leaders in promotional advertising with over 25 years experience we strive to satisfy all of our clients’ needs when it comes to marketing them and their businesses. We go over and above to make sure that all of their advertising demands are met with no exceptions. MeloTel and Synergy have been in business together since providing exceptional VoIP and technical services. READ MORE"
“I have been a MeloTel customer since 2009 and wanted to tell you how much my whole office appreciates your services. Life becomes a lot easier when someone is there to help when we need it. That kind of service is why we will remain a loyal customer for many years to come. Thank you! READ MORE"
“The transition to MeloTel has been exceptional on a number of levels. Cost savings of more than 50% compared to our old traditional multi-line system is a welcome benefit, but the service and features are what we are most pleased with. MeloTel gives us the capability to enhance our service to clients with features like “Find Me-Follow Me” which allows us to answer our main office lines from anywhere, at any time with our smart phones or soft phones. READ MORE"
“Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute is a plastic surgery clinic, located in downtown Toronto. On site we have a fully functional, state of the art surgical facility. MeloTel assisted us when we went paperless a couple years ago in replacing and restructuring our computer hardware and network. They have been providing us with IT support ever since. Whether it be remote sessions that are required, or on site visits, the service MeloTel provides is always quick and efficient. READ MORE"
“Global Mentoring Solutions (GMS) is a North American based, white labelled outsourced help desk provider that partners with major ISPs, eLearning Support Providers and mid-market IT Service Providers. With MeloTel’s telephone infrastructure services GMS is able to provide support for over 8,000 technical support interactions per month! GMS has been relying on MeloTel’s expertise and professional support services since 2010. READ MORE"