The telephone will never go out of style. Of course, the telephone device itself will continue to go through cosmetic and functional changes. Today, many of our telephones are “smartphones” that all have the capabilities of a telephone, a camera, a video recorder and an internet browser in one handheld device. Even with all of that, the traditional telephone has not gone the way of the dinosaur. Therefore, businesses all over Canada are still using them every day.
There is, of course, a particular way to use the telephone in order to endear customers to your company. It’s not quite as easy as simply picking up a receiver and dialing a number. There is such a thing as “telephone etiquette”. And the best phone reps in any industry all know how to practice it. If you’re looking to make good impressions over the phone – and what company isn’t? – you may want to practice the traits of a top-notch phone rep.
Here are five:
1. He/she doesn’t keep his/her customer waiting. When customers call up your company, chances are they are looking for answers to their questions – quickly! When your rep answers the phone expeditiously, it takes care of the first problem. It’s also important to manage hold times correctly. Reps who don’t keep their customers waiting for too long stand a better chance of providing positive experiences. People simply don’t like to be kept waiting.
2. He/she practices his/her phone routine. A top-notch phone rep doesn’t take the job for granted. He/she is willing to go through the motions before the first phone call of the day is received. The old adage “practice makes perfect” is a good one to follow. And great reps follow it. It can’t hurt to rehearse some of the most important aspects of a phone call before starting the job each day. It will keep you on your game.
3. He/she doesn’t pretend to know it all. Being a top-notch phone rep doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re perfect. There will be times when you simply need to ask another member of your team for assistance. Knowing who to connect a customer to is as important a trait as any. Processing call transfers to supervisors will sometimes be necessary. Give your caller the confidence that you can put him/her in touch with someone who will resolve his/her problem.
4. He/she asks instead of tells. In other words, a top-notch phone rep seeks his/her caller’s permission before making certain decisions. Putting a person on hold is a perfect example. “May I place you on hold for just a minute or two while I take a look into that for you?” is a much better approach then “I’m going to place you on hold for a minute while I look into that for you.” These subtle differences can go a long way in the world of pleasing customers.
5. He/she makes sure it’s safe to hang up. Some companies live by a “never hang up on the customer” policy. However, this can lead to many wasted minutes on the phone. It’s important to make absolutely sure that the call has come to a close before deciding to hang up. Great phone reps also make sure that their calls have proper endings. “Thank you so much for calling us today, have a great evening” is an excellent way to close a call.
At MeloTel, we don’t just offer such excellent tips, we offer the best Commercial Phone Services in the telecom industry! Our VoIP-based services combined with our unbeatable rates make working with MeloTel the right choice for any Canadian company that uses the phone to conduct business each day. For more information, please don’t hesitate to contact us at 1-888-MELOTEL or use the “Live Chat Support” feature on our website!
“Imprezzio Marketing has been with MeloTel for 4 years and their service has been outstanding over the years. Their customer support team is always extremely helpful and always responds and resolves any issues that we have. Thank you MeloTel for providing us with such great service. READ MORE"
“When TK Enterprises found MeloTel 2 years ago, it was in a crisis situation. Our previous VoIP provider had left us in the lurch and within days, MeloTel had us back up and running and we’ve never looked back since. We started with VoIP services and have worked with them to bring our company’s technology levels up to be more cutting edge and competitive while reducing costs and mitigating risk the entire time. READ MORE"
“Benjamin Verde Incorporated has been a loyal MeloTel customer since 2013. We are able to provide a variety of Artist and Entertainment related solutions such as Web Hosting, Artist Marketing and Artist Funding to clients across Canada. By utilizing MeloTel’s robust products and services our agents are able to provide fast and efficient customer care to various radio stations, record companies, independent artist as well as popular international brands via Benjamin Verde’s VXCO.net portal. READ MORE"
“As the leaders in promotional advertising with over 25 years experience we strive to satisfy all of our clients’ needs when it comes to marketing them and their businesses. We go over and above to make sure that all of their advertising demands are met with no exceptions. MeloTel and Synergy have been in business together since providing exceptional VoIP and technical services. READ MORE"
“I have been a MeloTel customer since 2009 and wanted to tell you how much my whole office appreciates your services. Life becomes a lot easier when someone is there to help when we need it. That kind of service is why we will remain a loyal customer for many years to come. Thank you! READ MORE"
“Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute is a plastic surgery clinic, located in downtown Toronto. On site we have a fully functional, state of the art surgical facility. MeloTel assisted us when we went paperless a couple years ago in replacing and restructuring our computer hardware and network. They have been providing us with IT support ever since. Whether it be remote sessions that are required, or on site visits, the service MeloTel provides is always quick and efficient. READ MORE"
“Global Mentoring Solutions (GMS) is a North American based, white labelled outsourced help desk provider that partners with major ISPs, eLearning Support Providers and mid-market IT Service Providers. With MeloTel’s telephone infrastructure services GMS is able to provide support for over 8,000 technical support interactions per month! GMS has been relying on MeloTel’s expertise and professional support services since 2010. READ MORE"