Good communication is everything. And when you conduct business on the phone, this is especially true. When you are not face to face with the person that you’re speaking to, it becomes really important to use appropriate tones and inflections so that your message is communicated clearly. You never want to be misunderstood as impatient, standoffish or one that exhibits any other negative character traits.
This isn’t always easy. Especially when you’re handling customer complaints, it’s incredibly important to remain patient and professional. Whenever you have a person on the line who needs to have a problem resolved, the manner in which you handle it can make or break that relationship with your business. That being said, the way you handle placing callers on hold is integral to good problem solving.
After all, people generally hate being placed on hold. So the way that you go about doing it will certainly make a difference in whether your customers become satisfied or further annoyed. It may sound like an easy thing to do. However, there is a special technique to the whole process of placing a caller on and off hold. In today’s blog, we’ll go over five important steps to take when placing your callers on hold.
1. Ask permission. Do your best to refrain from making such short commands as “hold please”. You’ll also want to avoid making statements like “I’m going to place you on hold.” Instead, ask the caller if it’s okay that you place him or her on hold. Give them an approximate amount of time that they will be placed on hold as well. This will help to avoid hang ups. Be sure to stick to your timeframe too.
2. Listen for a response. Asking permission is pointless if you’re not willing to actually wait to get it. Be sure to allow your caller time to respond with a “yes” before you place him or her on hold. This shows that you respect the person that you’re speaking with and will help for that person to gain a greater respect for the way that your company does business. Also, don’t forget to thank the caller before you place the call on hold.
3. Check back. As mentioned earlier, you want to stick to the timeframe that you provide for the hold time. To reiterate, people generally dislike being on hold. If your work looks like it’s going to take longer than the approximate time you’ve allotted for yourself, be sure to get back to the caller to inform him or her. Simply repeat the hold process by apologizing for the time it is taking to complete your task and give another approximate hold time.
4. Incorporate hold music. When people hear dead silence on the phone, they often assume that the line has been disconnected. Hold music will greatly improve your hang up ratio. Utilize upbeat music that will entertain your caller instead of boring or annoying him or her. The possibilities for hold music are endless. You may even want to look into getting your own original pieces to serve as your hold music. It will certainly set you apart.
5. Thank your caller. When you finally return back to the call, be sure to thank your caller for the patience and understanding being shown to you. You may also want to apologize for the delay to further communicate that you are aware of the importance of the time of your customer. Everyone’s time is important. You always want to make sure that your customers are aware that you care about theirs.
Contact MeloTel for information about our amazing Telephone Features that include hold music. We can be reached at 1-888-MELOTEL!
“Imprezzio Marketing has been with MeloTel for 4 years and their service has been outstanding over the years. Their customer support team is always extremely helpful and always responds and resolves any issues that we have. Thank you MeloTel for providing us with such great service. READ MORE"
“When TK Enterprises found MeloTel 2 years ago, it was in a crisis situation. Our previous VoIP provider had left us in the lurch and within days, MeloTel had us back up and running and we’ve never looked back since. We started with VoIP services and have worked with them to bring our company’s technology levels up to be more cutting edge and competitive while reducing costs and mitigating risk the entire time. READ MORE"
“Benjamin Verde Incorporated has been a loyal MeloTel customer since 2013. We are able to provide a variety of Artist and Entertainment related solutions such as Web Hosting, Artist Marketing and Artist Funding to clients across Canada. By utilizing MeloTel’s robust products and services our agents are able to provide fast and efficient customer care to various radio stations, record companies, independent artist as well as popular international brands via Benjamin Verde’s VXCO.net portal. READ MORE"
“As the leaders in promotional advertising with over 25 years experience we strive to satisfy all of our clients’ needs when it comes to marketing them and their businesses. We go over and above to make sure that all of their advertising demands are met with no exceptions. MeloTel and Synergy have been in business together since providing exceptional VoIP and technical services. READ MORE"
“I have been a MeloTel customer since 2009 and wanted to tell you how much my whole office appreciates your services. Life becomes a lot easier when someone is there to help when we need it. That kind of service is why we will remain a loyal customer for many years to come. Thank you! READ MORE"
“The transition to MeloTel has been exceptional on a number of levels. Cost savings of more than 50% compared to our old traditional multi-line system is a welcome benefit, but the service and features are what we are most pleased with. MeloTel gives us the capability to enhance our service to clients with features like “Find Me-Follow Me” which allows us to answer our main office lines from anywhere, at any time with our smart phones or soft phones. READ MORE"
“Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute is a plastic surgery clinic, located in downtown Toronto. On site we have a fully functional, state of the art surgical facility. MeloTel assisted us when we went paperless a couple years ago in replacing and restructuring our computer hardware and network. They have been providing us with IT support ever since. Whether it be remote sessions that are required, or on site visits, the service MeloTel provides is always quick and efficient. READ MORE"
“Global Mentoring Solutions (GMS) is a North American based, white labelled outsourced help desk provider that partners with major ISPs, eLearning Support Providers and mid-market IT Service Providers. With MeloTel’s telephone infrastructure services GMS is able to provide support for over 8,000 technical support interactions per month! GMS has been relying on MeloTel’s expertise and professional support services since 2010. READ MORE"