Recently, MeloTel announced the launch of its brand new “Customer Portal”. Of the many benefits that this online service tool and billing system provides its clients, the portal allows for visitors to select a domain name of their choice. Immediately after punching it in the search field, they will discover whether or not the domain name is available. If so, MeloTel can secure it for a very affordable rate. If not, there are alternative domain names listed.
But what is the key to selecting the perfect domain name? Some business owners feel that simply choosing the name of their companies as the names of their websites is the best way to go. And, in many cases, that is true. After all, MeloTel.com was the obvious choice for our company website. But can your domain name say more about your brand than its actual name can? One of our longest standing clients, Synergy Marketing sure thinks so!
The domain name for their website is TheBestPromoProducts.ca. You see, it’s important to be both unique and memorable. And don’t forget that your domain name may not necessarily be available, even it if is the name of your company. Choosing a domain name, therefore, may not be as easy a task as you may think. And this is why our “Customer Portal” makes the process so easy. However, there are a few other steps to take that will make for an easy selection process.
Here are five steps to securing the perfect domain name:
1. Create a “top five” list. It will certainly help to alleviate your disappointment if you come prepared with alternatives. Think about the top keywords that would best describe your business. Write a “top five” list of domain name ideas just in case your first choice doesn’t pan out. That way, you can easily type in your alternatives into the domain name search field one after the other in order to find one that you really want quickly.
2. Stick with a .com or .ca. To be honest, the most popular websites end with these suffixes. As you may know, .com websites are applicable all over the world while .ca websites are localized in Canada. Depending on the nature of your business, of course, either one of these suffixes would be an ideal choice. Choosing other options such as .net or .org is also useful depending on the audience you are trying to capture.
3. Make it easy to type and remember. If you plan on adding extra punctuation or characters, you’re not going to be making life easy on those trying to locate you online. Do yourself a favour and choose a domain name that is easy to say. That way, you won’t necessarily be required to spell it out for people when passing along your website verbally. Try to avoid dashes, underscores and numbers if you can.
4. Go with something short and sweet. In keeping with the idea that your domain name should be easy to type and remember, you’ll want to keep it short. That way, you minimize chances for error when people are attempting to type it in their web browsers. Not to mention, a short domain name makes it easy to include on all of your business materials such as letterheads, business cards and promotional gifts.
5. Be original! It will certainly be in your best interests to choose a domain name that doesn’t seem too suspiciously close to another company’s domain name. Firstly, you don’t want to infringe upon anyone else’s copyright. Secondly, you don’t want to get continually mistaken for a brand that doesn’t represent you. This can impact the impression you give off to the general public, not to mention, cause you to lose visitors to the other company.
For more information on MeloTel’s Domain, Email & Web Hosting services, give us a call at 1-888-MELOTEL!
“Imprezzio Marketing has been with MeloTel for 4 years and their service has been outstanding over the years. Their customer support team is always extremely helpful and always responds and resolves any issues that we have. Thank you MeloTel for providing us with such great service. READ MORE"
“When TK Enterprises found MeloTel 2 years ago, it was in a crisis situation. Our previous VoIP provider had left us in the lurch and within days, MeloTel had us back up and running and we’ve never looked back since. We started with VoIP services and have worked with them to bring our company’s technology levels up to be more cutting edge and competitive while reducing costs and mitigating risk the entire time. READ MORE"
“Benjamin Verde Incorporated has been a loyal MeloTel customer since 2013. We are able to provide a variety of Artist and Entertainment related solutions such as Web Hosting, Artist Marketing and Artist Funding to clients across Canada. By utilizing MeloTel’s robust products and services our agents are able to provide fast and efficient customer care to various radio stations, record companies, independent artist as well as popular international brands via Benjamin Verde’s VXCO.net portal. READ MORE"
“As the leaders in promotional advertising with over 25 years experience we strive to satisfy all of our clients’ needs when it comes to marketing them and their businesses. We go over and above to make sure that all of their advertising demands are met with no exceptions. MeloTel and Synergy have been in business together since providing exceptional VoIP and technical services. READ MORE"
“I have been a MeloTel customer since 2009 and wanted to tell you how much my whole office appreciates your services. Life becomes a lot easier when someone is there to help when we need it. That kind of service is why we will remain a loyal customer for many years to come. Thank you! READ MORE"
“The transition to MeloTel has been exceptional on a number of levels. Cost savings of more than 50% compared to our old traditional multi-line system is a welcome benefit, but the service and features are what we are most pleased with. MeloTel gives us the capability to enhance our service to clients with features like “Find Me-Follow Me” which allows us to answer our main office lines from anywhere, at any time with our smart phones or soft phones. READ MORE"
“Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute is a plastic surgery clinic, located in downtown Toronto. On site we have a fully functional, state of the art surgical facility. MeloTel assisted us when we went paperless a couple years ago in replacing and restructuring our computer hardware and network. They have been providing us with IT support ever since. Whether it be remote sessions that are required, or on site visits, the service MeloTel provides is always quick and efficient. READ MORE"
“Global Mentoring Solutions (GMS) is a North American based, white labelled outsourced help desk provider that partners with major ISPs, eLearning Support Providers and mid-market IT Service Providers. With MeloTel’s telephone infrastructure services GMS is able to provide support for over 8,000 technical support interactions per month! GMS has been relying on MeloTel’s expertise and professional support services since 2010. READ MORE"