We all know the old adage that “you only get one chance to make a first impression”, right? So what first impressions are you giving to your customers? You may be wondering how you may even know the answer to such a question. Well, ask yourself this question first: how often do you get new customers that were referred to you by your website? Perhaps, the real question is: just how effective is your company website?
These days, it cannot be stressed enough that your company website needs to provide for you a very strong representation of your brand. From its design to its usability, your site needs to be an online entity that people enjoy. How else can you assure yourself that its visitors will return? And more importantly, how does your website help you to secure new customers? One thing is for sure, it’s not through spelling mistakes!
Yes, improper spelling, grammar and punctuation can make all the difference in the world when trying to impress potential customers online. When your website copy looks like it was written by a six year-old, it’s not bound to attract the serious consumer. Believe it or not, there are far too many business websites out there that don’t contain professionally-written content. So, in today’s blog, we offer five ways to make sure that your website reads professionally.
1. Proofread. This may sound like the simplest, most no-brainer type of tip possible. But if it was such an obvious piece of advice, more websites wouldn’t contain the number of grammatical errors that they do. Simply read over your text to be sure that it is written correctly before posting it online. One tip is to read what you’ve written aloud. Be sure that it makes sense when being spoken.
2. Get another set of eyes on it. If you’ve written your own website copy, chances are you may be missing your mistakes no matter how many times you’ve gone over it. Ask a friend, family member or co-worker to read it as well. An extra set of eyes may catch grammatical errors that you’ve missed. Not to mention, you may get a better perspective of the ways in which your writing may impact readers.
3. Don’t use a spell checker. Believe it or not, various spell check programs can cause more harm than good. Especially considering that if you’re writing in Canadian English which incorporates such spelling as “centre” instead of “center” and “colour” instead of “color”, you may want to rely on humans to take care of the task of maintaining grammatical perfection. As well, spell checkers often inappropriately try to correct modern-day words, such as “blog”.
4. Edit your work. It’s one thing to proofread your text, it’s another thing to properly edit it. That doesn’t just mean the correction spelling errors. It also means reforming your sentences so that they make better sense and are easier to read. Many company websites incorporate run-on sentences, improper use of tenses and common errors such as “there”, when it should be “their”. Spell checks don’t always pick these up. Review and edit your mistakes as they come.
5. Hire a professional! Let’s just be honest. Do you really have the time to research, write, proofread, edit, double check and post your website copy on your own? Most business owners are far too busy to even think about it. MeloTel’s Bloggers For Hire team is comprised of professional writers who are as creative as they are articulate. Trust our team with your website copy and you’re guaranteed to have a more professionally readable site in no time!
For more information, call us at 1-888-MELOTEL!
“Imprezzio Marketing has been with MeloTel for 4 years and their service has been outstanding over the years. Their customer support team is always extremely helpful and always responds and resolves any issues that we have. Thank you MeloTel for providing us with such great service. READ MORE"
“When TK Enterprises found MeloTel 2 years ago, it was in a crisis situation. Our previous VoIP provider had left us in the lurch and within days, MeloTel had us back up and running and we’ve never looked back since. We started with VoIP services and have worked with them to bring our company’s technology levels up to be more cutting edge and competitive while reducing costs and mitigating risk the entire time. READ MORE"
“Benjamin Verde Incorporated has been a loyal MeloTel customer since 2013. We are able to provide a variety of Artist and Entertainment related solutions such as Web Hosting, Artist Marketing and Artist Funding to clients across Canada. By utilizing MeloTel’s robust products and services our agents are able to provide fast and efficient customer care to various radio stations, record companies, independent artist as well as popular international brands via Benjamin Verde’s VXCO.net portal. READ MORE"
“As the leaders in promotional advertising with over 25 years experience we strive to satisfy all of our clients’ needs when it comes to marketing them and their businesses. We go over and above to make sure that all of their advertising demands are met with no exceptions. MeloTel and Synergy have been in business together since providing exceptional VoIP and technical services. READ MORE"
“I have been a MeloTel customer since 2009 and wanted to tell you how much my whole office appreciates your services. Life becomes a lot easier when someone is there to help when we need it. That kind of service is why we will remain a loyal customer for many years to come. Thank you! READ MORE"
“Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute is a plastic surgery clinic, located in downtown Toronto. On site we have a fully functional, state of the art surgical facility. MeloTel assisted us when we went paperless a couple years ago in replacing and restructuring our computer hardware and network. They have been providing us with IT support ever since. Whether it be remote sessions that are required, or on site visits, the service MeloTel provides is always quick and efficient. READ MORE"
“Global Mentoring Solutions (GMS) is a North American based, white labelled outsourced help desk provider that partners with major ISPs, eLearning Support Providers and mid-market IT Service Providers. With MeloTel’s telephone infrastructure services GMS is able to provide support for over 8,000 technical support interactions per month! GMS has been relying on MeloTel’s expertise and professional support services since 2010. READ MORE"