You’ve got yourself an amazing product or service. You have yourself an amazing business plan. You’ve even got the perfect name for your brand. You’re all ready to get your company off the ground, right? Wait a second. There’s all-important step yet to be taken in order to truly launch your business. You need a website! And the first step to getting a website is choosing a domain name.
Of course, the decision to select a domain name for your brand may seem like a no-brainer. However, not all business names make for good domain names. For instance, your business name may be too long. You don’t necessarily want to be turning Big John’s Sporting Goods and Equipment Centre into part of a URL. So what steps should be taken to ensure you choose the perfect domain name for your brand?
1. Make it short and sweet. The shorter your domain name is, the easier it is going to be for your customers to remember it. That isn’t to say that it should only be a couple of letters in length. But you’re going to want your website address to be a concise, catchy and memorable one. It’s important, as well, to make sure that your domain name is fairly easy to spell and pronounce.
2. Be original. There are so many domain names out there that you may run the risk of selecting one that is too similar to another one that is already in existence. Not only do you not want to violate another company’s intellectual property, but you want to be able to stand out from all of the other sites out there. Consider the originality of your domain name so that it stands for something special.
3. .Com or .Ca? It probably goes without saying that in North America, .com website addresses are the most popular. Arguably, they’re also the easiest to say and remember. However, many Canadian business owners are finding great benefit in going with the Canadianized .ca web addresses. Our advice? Buy both and have them direct to one another. That way, you can’t lose!
4. Pick a strategy. How do you want people to find you? Will you be relying on traffic from search engines? If so, you’ll want to select real phrases and words that people are likely to Google. Will you be advertising your new website address? Silly question, most likely, but if so, you’ll want to make sure that your special turn of phrase or made up word becomes one that the public gets quickly familiar with. MeloTel.com is an example! (Sorry, it’s taken).
5. Get creative. You may just have to come up with your own newly created word after all. MeloTel, as you may have guessed, is combination of “Melo” from our company president and founder, John Meloche’s last name, and “Tel” for telephone – the device and service that got our company’s engine running. We’re not the only company to come up with a company and domain name in this way. Ever hear of YouTube?
MeloTel makes it easy for you to discover if your domain name is available. On our Managed Domain, Email & Web Hosting page, you can easily type in the domain names of your choice to check on their availability. You’ll also notice that we have three awesome plans to get your website registered and on its way to making your company the success you envisioned it to be. Let’s get you set up! Give us a call at 1-888-MELOTEL.
“Imprezzio Marketing has been with MeloTel for 4 years and their service has been outstanding over the years. Their customer support team is always extremely helpful and always responds and resolves any issues that we have. Thank you MeloTel for providing us with such great service. READ MORE"
“When TK Enterprises found MeloTel 2 years ago, it was in a crisis situation. Our previous VoIP provider had left us in the lurch and within days, MeloTel had us back up and running and we’ve never looked back since. We started with VoIP services and have worked with them to bring our company’s technology levels up to be more cutting edge and competitive while reducing costs and mitigating risk the entire time. READ MORE"
“Benjamin Verde Incorporated has been a loyal MeloTel customer since 2013. We are able to provide a variety of Artist and Entertainment related solutions such as Web Hosting, Artist Marketing and Artist Funding to clients across Canada. By utilizing MeloTel’s robust products and services our agents are able to provide fast and efficient customer care to various radio stations, record companies, independent artist as well as popular international brands via Benjamin Verde’s VXCO.net portal. READ MORE"
“As the leaders in promotional advertising with over 25 years experience we strive to satisfy all of our clients’ needs when it comes to marketing them and their businesses. We go over and above to make sure that all of their advertising demands are met with no exceptions. MeloTel and Synergy have been in business together since providing exceptional VoIP and technical services. READ MORE"
“I have been a MeloTel customer since 2009 and wanted to tell you how much my whole office appreciates your services. Life becomes a lot easier when someone is there to help when we need it. That kind of service is why we will remain a loyal customer for many years to come. Thank you! READ MORE"
“Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute is a plastic surgery clinic, located in downtown Toronto. On site we have a fully functional, state of the art surgical facility. MeloTel assisted us when we went paperless a couple years ago in replacing and restructuring our computer hardware and network. They have been providing us with IT support ever since. Whether it be remote sessions that are required, or on site visits, the service MeloTel provides is always quick and efficient. READ MORE"
“Global Mentoring Solutions (GMS) is a North American based, white labelled outsourced help desk provider that partners with major ISPs, eLearning Support Providers and mid-market IT Service Providers. With MeloTel’s telephone infrastructure services GMS is able to provide support for over 8,000 technical support interactions per month! GMS has been relying on MeloTel’s expertise and professional support services since 2010. READ MORE"