Providing excellent customer service should be on the top of every business owner’s daily to-do lists. Coming up with a specific way for your team to handle its customer interactions is extremely important in establishing a strong and very favourable brand image. This is especially true for companies that do the majority of their business over the phone. When speaking to someone over the phone, you don’t have the luxury of body language and facial expressions to tell your story.
This is why a strong customer service regimen practiced over the phone is so important. As you know, there are many elements to a business phone call. As we’ve blogged about in the past, the ways in which you both answer and end your calls are of extreme importance. There is also a particular way that you should go about putting your callers on hold. No one really likes holding. That’s why it’s vital you do so in a way that improves the customer experience.
Here are five smart techniques for placing callers on hold:
1. Ask, don’t tell. Kindly ask your caller if he/she wouldn’t mind being placed on hold. Posing the question “May I place you on hold for just a couple of minutes while I look into that for you?” sounds a lot better than the instructional “I’m going to place you hold to take a look into that for you”. It offers a greater show of respect when you essentially ask for and are granted permission to place someone on hold.
2. Provide the approximate amount of time your caller will be on hold. As we pointed out in our last point, it’s wise to inform your caller of how long he/she will be on hold. That way, you won’t give the impression that your customer will have to wait for too long. If the work you’re doing takes longer than the time frame you’ve given, be sure to come back to the line to let the caller know how much longer you’ll be.
3. Give reasons for the hold. Our previous example also gave a little bit of insight into what the purpose of the hold time was. You’ll want to be sure to provide such reasons so that your callers don’t assume the hold time is unnecessary. Informing your caller that you are pulling up his/her account, consulting with a supervisor and/or performing troubleshooting duties will help for your customer to better appreciate the time you are taking to resolve the issue.
4. Utilize custom hold music. In our last blog, we pointed out some of the main benefits that come with hold music. Firstly, and most obviously, hold music lets a caller know that the line has not been disconnected. With music playing, your caller will be a lot less likely to hang up. As well, your custom hold music can be used to advertise your company’s latest promotions, making it a great marketing mechanism!
5. Offer a callback, if necessary. In some rare cases, you may not be able to resolve a caller’s issues right away. If such a circumstance arises, ask your caller if he/she can be called back once the problem has been resolved. Customers will greater appreciate this gesture than to be kept on hold for very long. Some people have spent hours on the phone trying to get their problems resolved. The longer it takes to find resolution, the less satisfied customers usually are.
For more information about MeloTel’s Commercial Phone Services, please don’t hesitate to contact us at 1-888-MELOTEL or use the “Live Chat Support” feature on our website!
“Imprezzio Marketing has been with MeloTel for 4 years and their service has been outstanding over the years. Their customer support team is always extremely helpful and always responds and resolves any issues that we have. Thank you MeloTel for providing us with such great service. READ MORE"
“When TK Enterprises found MeloTel 2 years ago, it was in a crisis situation. Our previous VoIP provider had left us in the lurch and within days, MeloTel had us back up and running and we’ve never looked back since. We started with VoIP services and have worked with them to bring our company’s technology levels up to be more cutting edge and competitive while reducing costs and mitigating risk the entire time. READ MORE"
“Benjamin Verde Incorporated has been a loyal MeloTel customer since 2013. We are able to provide a variety of Artist and Entertainment related solutions such as Web Hosting, Artist Marketing and Artist Funding to clients across Canada. By utilizing MeloTel’s robust products and services our agents are able to provide fast and efficient customer care to various radio stations, record companies, independent artist as well as popular international brands via Benjamin Verde’s VXCO.net portal. READ MORE"
“As the leaders in promotional advertising with over 25 years experience we strive to satisfy all of our clients’ needs when it comes to marketing them and their businesses. We go over and above to make sure that all of their advertising demands are met with no exceptions. MeloTel and Synergy have been in business together since providing exceptional VoIP and technical services. READ MORE"
“I have been a MeloTel customer since 2009 and wanted to tell you how much my whole office appreciates your services. Life becomes a lot easier when someone is there to help when we need it. That kind of service is why we will remain a loyal customer for many years to come. Thank you! READ MORE"
“Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute is a plastic surgery clinic, located in downtown Toronto. On site we have a fully functional, state of the art surgical facility. MeloTel assisted us when we went paperless a couple years ago in replacing and restructuring our computer hardware and network. They have been providing us with IT support ever since. Whether it be remote sessions that are required, or on site visits, the service MeloTel provides is always quick and efficient. READ MORE"
“Global Mentoring Solutions (GMS) is a North American based, white labelled outsourced help desk provider that partners with major ISPs, eLearning Support Providers and mid-market IT Service Providers. With MeloTel’s telephone infrastructure services GMS is able to provide support for over 8,000 technical support interactions per month! GMS has been relying on MeloTel’s expertise and professional support services since 2010. READ MORE"