How important is it for you to have a strong business etiquette over the phone? Well, if you run a call centre or have any number of phone agents speaking to your customers on a daily basis, you’ll know that it is extremely important! As we’ve pointed out in previous blogs, a little something extra is necessary from workers when they’re conducting business over the phone. It’s not quite the same as being in person.
And that’s because the absence of facial expressions, hand gestures and other forms of body language force an individual to step up his/her friendly demeanour. You can gain a lot of confidence from a customer when you immediately give off an approachable and affable vibe over the phone. And just as important as it is to be courteous and kind, it’s imperative that you are demonstrate your knowledge and all-around professionalism.
What are the signs that you have a professional phone etiquette down pat? Here are five:
1. You always identify yourself at the beginning of calls. People aren’t particularly motivated to do business with strangers. So ensuring that, at the beginning of each call, you remove the “stranger” distinction is extremely important. By creating a sense of familiarity between you and your customers – it’s important to use their names often throughout the calls – you help to ease any fears, concerns or misnomers about your brand.
2. Your tone of voice is always pleasant. Make no mistake about it, phone work isn’t easy. It can be difficult to not lose your patience when a customer asks the same question over and over or perhaps, accuses you of something you didn’t do. But not getting frustrated (or more accurately, not appearing to get frustrated) is the sign of a true professional. Never losing your cool keeps you in a great position to succeed at your job.
3. You’ve mastered your script. Nearly every sales agent must follow a script when working on the phone. However, it’s not just memorization that breeds success. It’s the tone, inflections and personality that comes through in each call that help for success to be bred. A phone agent who has a strong handle on the script so that he/she can be interrupted to answer questions and not lose focus is an excellent asset to any company.
4. You don’t easily get distracted. Call centres are very busy and noisy environments. Between all of the other conversations taking place, the phones ringing and the general action in the workplace, there’s a lot that can deter one’s attention from his/her phone calls. One who knows how to stay focused is in a better position to actively listen to his/her leads and customers. That way, much better customer service can be provided and greater sales success can be achieved.
5. You are clear and concise when leaving messages. For most phone reps, there is nothing more ideal than the live call. But the best phone reps know that during instances when leaving voicemails are necessary, it’s imperative to leave messages that entice return calls. Speaking clearly and concisely so that all relevant information is heard and understood helps to encourage voicemail recipients to call back.
Of course, it doesn’t hurt to utilize a feature-rich, VoIP-based phone service like the Commercial Phone Services offered by MeloTel. For more information, please don’t hesitate to contact us at 1-888-MELOTEL or use the Live Chat feature on our website!
“Imprezzio Marketing has been with MeloTel for 4 years and their service has been outstanding over the years. Their customer support team is always extremely helpful and always responds and resolves any issues that we have. Thank you MeloTel for providing us with such great service. READ MORE"
“When TK Enterprises found MeloTel 2 years ago, it was in a crisis situation. Our previous VoIP provider had left us in the lurch and within days, MeloTel had us back up and running and we’ve never looked back since. We started with VoIP services and have worked with them to bring our company’s technology levels up to be more cutting edge and competitive while reducing costs and mitigating risk the entire time. READ MORE"
“Benjamin Verde Incorporated has been a loyal MeloTel customer since 2013. We are able to provide a variety of Artist and Entertainment related solutions such as Web Hosting, Artist Marketing and Artist Funding to clients across Canada. By utilizing MeloTel’s robust products and services our agents are able to provide fast and efficient customer care to various radio stations, record companies, independent artist as well as popular international brands via Benjamin Verde’s VXCO.net portal. READ MORE"
“As the leaders in promotional advertising with over 25 years experience we strive to satisfy all of our clients’ needs when it comes to marketing them and their businesses. We go over and above to make sure that all of their advertising demands are met with no exceptions. MeloTel and Synergy have been in business together since providing exceptional VoIP and technical services. READ MORE"
“I have been a MeloTel customer since 2009 and wanted to tell you how much my whole office appreciates your services. Life becomes a lot easier when someone is there to help when we need it. That kind of service is why we will remain a loyal customer for many years to come. Thank you! READ MORE"
“The transition to MeloTel has been exceptional on a number of levels. Cost savings of more than 50% compared to our old traditional multi-line system is a welcome benefit, but the service and features are what we are most pleased with. MeloTel gives us the capability to enhance our service to clients with features like “Find Me-Follow Me” which allows us to answer our main office lines from anywhere, at any time with our smart phones or soft phones. READ MORE"
“Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute is a plastic surgery clinic, located in downtown Toronto. On site we have a fully functional, state of the art surgical facility. MeloTel assisted us when we went paperless a couple years ago in replacing and restructuring our computer hardware and network. They have been providing us with IT support ever since. Whether it be remote sessions that are required, or on site visits, the service MeloTel provides is always quick and efficient. READ MORE"
“Global Mentoring Solutions (GMS) is a North American based, white labelled outsourced help desk provider that partners with major ISPs, eLearning Support Providers and mid-market IT Service Providers. With MeloTel’s telephone infrastructure services GMS is able to provide support for over 8,000 technical support interactions per month! GMS has been relying on MeloTel’s expertise and professional support services since 2010. READ MORE"