You call up a company. You travel through the various voice prompts in order to get to the right department. You speak to a representative. And, at some point in the conversation, you’re placed on hold. What do you hear? The answer to that question can certainly have a big impact on your opinions about the company. Is it dead silence? Is there a recorded message? Are you listening to hold music?
Consider your opinions about the various things that you can hear while you’re waiting on hold. In our experience, customers much prefer music to any other sound. Who doesn’t like some type of music? And even if you’re listening to music that you don’t particularly like, it’s better than the alternative of silence. And why is that? Well, there are actually several reasons. In today’s blog, we’ll explore five.
1. It’s entertaining. As we alluded to before, it’s hard to find someone who isn’t a fan of some type of music. The general purpose of hold music is to keep people aware that they are on hold, and not have them want to hang up. Music fills the silence in a way that nothing else can. Generally, music serves to keep people calm and somewhat entertained while they are waiting for service representatives to return to the lines.
2. It lets customers know you haven’t hung up. How often have you been on hold only to discover that the line has actually been disconnected? In today’s smart phone-obsessed world, we don’t hear the same dial tones that we used to when we were disconnected using traditional landlines. So today, there are many times when people are holding for no one! Hold music guarantees a caller that he or she is still connected to the line.
3. It reduces hang-ups. Naturally, you don’t want your customers hanging up on you. If the music you are playing is worth listening to, you will help your business to service more of its customers. People are prepared to wait if they don’t feel that their time is being wasted. Have you ever been on hold and enjoyed the music being played while you waited? Consider the impact that good music can have on your customer service regimen.
4. It makes you look more professional. You run a business. When people call you, they expect a certain level of professionalism. If you place someone on hold using your regular phone, they have no choice but to sit in silence. Your business telephone line, however, should immediately be recognized as a pathway to professional service. When you place your callers on hold and they hear music, this is the impression you give.
5. It helps you to be creative. The hold music that your callers listen to should reflect the image of your company. It can be upbeat and fun or it can be mellow and relaxing. It can even be something completely original. For some time, MeloTel’s hold music was the “888-MELOTEL” rap performed by our very own company president, John Meloche! Perhaps, creating your own original piece is in order.
MeloTel offers Music On Hold as one of the many Telephone Features that come with our VoIP telephone services. Our Voice Talent Production team would also make the ideal choice for creators of your own original hold music. Call us for more information by dialing 1-888-MELOTEL today!
“Imprezzio Marketing has been with MeloTel for 4 years and their service has been outstanding over the years. Their customer support team is always extremely helpful and always responds and resolves any issues that we have. Thank you MeloTel for providing us with such great service. READ MORE"
“When TK Enterprises found MeloTel 2 years ago, it was in a crisis situation. Our previous VoIP provider had left us in the lurch and within days, MeloTel had us back up and running and we’ve never looked back since. We started with VoIP services and have worked with them to bring our company’s technology levels up to be more cutting edge and competitive while reducing costs and mitigating risk the entire time. READ MORE"
“Benjamin Verde Incorporated has been a loyal MeloTel customer since 2013. We are able to provide a variety of Artist and Entertainment related solutions such as Web Hosting, Artist Marketing and Artist Funding to clients across Canada. By utilizing MeloTel’s robust products and services our agents are able to provide fast and efficient customer care to various radio stations, record companies, independent artist as well as popular international brands via Benjamin Verde’s VXCO.net portal. READ MORE"
“As the leaders in promotional advertising with over 25 years experience we strive to satisfy all of our clients’ needs when it comes to marketing them and their businesses. We go over and above to make sure that all of their advertising demands are met with no exceptions. MeloTel and Synergy have been in business together since providing exceptional VoIP and technical services. READ MORE"
“I have been a MeloTel customer since 2009 and wanted to tell you how much my whole office appreciates your services. Life becomes a lot easier when someone is there to help when we need it. That kind of service is why we will remain a loyal customer for many years to come. Thank you! READ MORE"
“The transition to MeloTel has been exceptional on a number of levels. Cost savings of more than 50% compared to our old traditional multi-line system is a welcome benefit, but the service and features are what we are most pleased with. MeloTel gives us the capability to enhance our service to clients with features like “Find Me-Follow Me” which allows us to answer our main office lines from anywhere, at any time with our smart phones or soft phones. READ MORE"
“Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute is a plastic surgery clinic, located in downtown Toronto. On site we have a fully functional, state of the art surgical facility. MeloTel assisted us when we went paperless a couple years ago in replacing and restructuring our computer hardware and network. They have been providing us with IT support ever since. Whether it be remote sessions that are required, or on site visits, the service MeloTel provides is always quick and efficient. READ MORE"
“Global Mentoring Solutions (GMS) is a North American based, white labelled outsourced help desk provider that partners with major ISPs, eLearning Support Providers and mid-market IT Service Providers. With MeloTel’s telephone infrastructure services GMS is able to provide support for over 8,000 technical support interactions per month! GMS has been relying on MeloTel’s expertise and professional support services since 2010. READ MORE"