In our last blog, we highlighted the fact that MeloTel does a lot of business over the phone. We’re guessing you do as well. But, in 2016, there is no shortage of emails being sent. It’s safe bet to say that you likely send your fair share of business emails on any given day. Yes, email is right up there with phone calls when it comes to the most popular ways to communicate to customers and colleagues in the business world today. But are you an excellent emailer?
Here are five methods of maintaining excellent email etiquette:
1. Avoid the long winded approach. Some people get caught up in the fact that emails allow for conversations to be had without being interrupted. Even though emails offer you the capability to write to your heart’s content, it’s always wise to keep things short and sweet. Stick to key points and be sure to answer questions concisely. Remember that both you and your recipients likely have a lot of emails to get to each day. Make them easy to read and respond to.
2. Have clear and precise subject lines. Emails are great ways to file and document conversations based on specific topics. This is where appropriate subject lines come in handy. Without them, it’s hard to manage the long list of emails you get each day. Make it so that each email you send is appropriately titled and avoid speaking on separate topics in the same thread. That way, you’ll avoid confusing your various conversations.
3. Always be mindful of your tone. It’s important to keep in mind that emails don’t allow you to use body language, facial expressions or hand gestures to communicate your points. Make sure that both the tone and exact verbiage you choose is appropriate. It’s easy to misunderstand a person’s tone when messages are sent in the written form. So that your words are not taken out of context, be sure to limit sarcasm and other unprofessional inflections.
4. Proofread. Do your due diligence and take a few extra moments to ensure that what you’ve written is a respectful form of communication worthy of representing your business. The last thing you want is to press “send” before noticing grammatical errors and spelling mistakes. This is especially important if you happen to be responding to an email on your smartphone. Those auto-correct features tend to make messes of what people write!
5. Write as if your email is being read by the public. Remember that you have an image to uphold. The image of your business is one that you want to be seen as positive by all those who come into contact with it. Assuming your emails are private is a mistake. If you write something that is deemed inappropriate or out of character for your brand, be aware that it can be spread around very quickly. Cover your tracks and stay professional at all times.
At MeloTel, we offer Domain, Email & Web Hosting to ensure that our customers enjoy hosting that allows for all of their communications to be protected by encrypted SSL certificates. Cheap hosting, this is not! We offer services that establish a Fortune 500 configuration for even the smallest of businesses. None of our plans require any term commitment. You are free to cancel at any time. But we can’t imagine that you will!
For more information, please don’t hesitate to contact us at 1-888-MELOTEL or use the “Live Chat Support” feature on our website!
“Imprezzio Marketing has been with MeloTel for 4 years and their service has been outstanding over the years. Their customer support team is always extremely helpful and always responds and resolves any issues that we have. Thank you MeloTel for providing us with such great service. READ MORE"
“When TK Enterprises found MeloTel 2 years ago, it was in a crisis situation. Our previous VoIP provider had left us in the lurch and within days, MeloTel had us back up and running and we’ve never looked back since. We started with VoIP services and have worked with them to bring our company’s technology levels up to be more cutting edge and competitive while reducing costs and mitigating risk the entire time. READ MORE"
“Benjamin Verde Incorporated has been a loyal MeloTel customer since 2013. We are able to provide a variety of Artist and Entertainment related solutions such as Web Hosting, Artist Marketing and Artist Funding to clients across Canada. By utilizing MeloTel’s robust products and services our agents are able to provide fast and efficient customer care to various radio stations, record companies, independent artist as well as popular international brands via Benjamin Verde’s VXCO.net portal. READ MORE"
“As the leaders in promotional advertising with over 25 years experience we strive to satisfy all of our clients’ needs when it comes to marketing them and their businesses. We go over and above to make sure that all of their advertising demands are met with no exceptions. MeloTel and Synergy have been in business together since providing exceptional VoIP and technical services. READ MORE"
“I have been a MeloTel customer since 2009 and wanted to tell you how much my whole office appreciates your services. Life becomes a lot easier when someone is there to help when we need it. That kind of service is why we will remain a loyal customer for many years to come. Thank you! READ MORE"
“The transition to MeloTel has been exceptional on a number of levels. Cost savings of more than 50% compared to our old traditional multi-line system is a welcome benefit, but the service and features are what we are most pleased with. MeloTel gives us the capability to enhance our service to clients with features like “Find Me-Follow Me” which allows us to answer our main office lines from anywhere, at any time with our smart phones or soft phones. READ MORE"
“Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute is a plastic surgery clinic, located in downtown Toronto. On site we have a fully functional, state of the art surgical facility. MeloTel assisted us when we went paperless a couple years ago in replacing and restructuring our computer hardware and network. They have been providing us with IT support ever since. Whether it be remote sessions that are required, or on site visits, the service MeloTel provides is always quick and efficient. READ MORE"
“Global Mentoring Solutions (GMS) is a North American based, white labelled outsourced help desk provider that partners with major ISPs, eLearning Support Providers and mid-market IT Service Providers. With MeloTel’s telephone infrastructure services GMS is able to provide support for over 8,000 technical support interactions per month! GMS has been relying on MeloTel’s expertise and professional support services since 2010. READ MORE"