Earlier this week, MeloTel announced that it is looking for a new IT Support and Computer Technician. While there are many nuances of the job that include being incredibly computer-savvy and an excellent team player, there is another important trait that candidates for this position must have. Being a good problem solver is critical. Not only is it important for this new career opportunity, but it is one that is necessary for the success of any business.
Being a good problem solver entails an ability to attack issues head on without getting flustered. After all, many of the problems that you will be working to solve come as harrowing experiences for the people who have them. Your cool, calm and collected approach is the first step to taking care of their issues. But, it’s also imperative that you’re able to confidently come up with a number of solutions that will allow you to critically select the most appropriate fix.
Here are five keys to being a good problem solver:
1. Identifying the problem. Clearly, there’s no way to be able to fix a problem if you don’t know what the problem is. At MeloTel, we’re aware that most clients who have computer issues don’t have any true idea of the nature of the issue. A good problem solver treats his or her customer as a priority, looking to discover the root cause of the issue expeditiously. By locating the exact reason for the problem, he or she can best manage a resolution.
2. Analyzing the problem. Once the source of the problem has been determined, it’s important to figure out the various circumstances that may arise from it. For example, is the issue causing the computer to lose data? Is it creating uninvited shutdowns? Is there a computer virus present? What solutions have already been attempted that have not worked? By analyzing the problem, you can whittle out suggestions for fixing it that won’t work.
3. Determining multiple solutions. As we alluded to earlier, it’s important to come up with a number of possible solutions. A good problem solver always has a Plan B – and a C and D, for that matter. Of course, there may also be more than one solution to the problem. It’s important to be able to evaluate the various scenarios that may present a fix and decide which one will be the most effective.
4. Choosing the best solution. Obviously, top-notch problem-solvers get it right the first time. The definition of an expert problem solver is one who has properly identified and analyzed a problem so that he or she may come up with a number of solutions that present the perfect fixes. Once you have come up with a solution to the problem, it’s important to conduct the work accurately so that the problem is adequately resolved.
5. Following up to ensure success. You know what they say about making assumptions. Don’t assume that because you’ve done your due diligence to come up with what you think is a perfect solution to a problem, that the problem won’t rear its ugly head again. Making sure to follow up with your clients to ensure that the issue hasn’t re-occurred is a great way to determine if your problem-solving abilities are at an expert level.
We would just like to remind you that if you are an excellent problem solver and are interested in applying for MeloTel’s new IT Support and Computer Technician position to please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. This will help us to reduce the amount of calls coming into our office which we’d like to reserve for helping our clients. We look forward to speaking and meeting with you soon!
“Imprezzio Marketing has been with MeloTel for 4 years and their service has been outstanding over the years. Their customer support team is always extremely helpful and always responds and resolves any issues that we have. Thank you MeloTel for providing us with such great service. READ MORE"
“When TK Enterprises found MeloTel 2 years ago, it was in a crisis situation. Our previous VoIP provider had left us in the lurch and within days, MeloTel had us back up and running and we’ve never looked back since. We started with VoIP services and have worked with them to bring our company’s technology levels up to be more cutting edge and competitive while reducing costs and mitigating risk the entire time. READ MORE"
“Benjamin Verde Incorporated has been a loyal MeloTel customer since 2013. We are able to provide a variety of Artist and Entertainment related solutions such as Web Hosting, Artist Marketing and Artist Funding to clients across Canada. By utilizing MeloTel’s robust products and services our agents are able to provide fast and efficient customer care to various radio stations, record companies, independent artist as well as popular international brands via Benjamin Verde’s VXCO.net portal. READ MORE"
“As the leaders in promotional advertising with over 25 years experience we strive to satisfy all of our clients’ needs when it comes to marketing them and their businesses. We go over and above to make sure that all of their advertising demands are met with no exceptions. MeloTel and Synergy have been in business together since providing exceptional VoIP and technical services. READ MORE"
“I have been a MeloTel customer since 2009 and wanted to tell you how much my whole office appreciates your services. Life becomes a lot easier when someone is there to help when we need it. That kind of service is why we will remain a loyal customer for many years to come. Thank you! READ MORE"
“Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute is a plastic surgery clinic, located in downtown Toronto. On site we have a fully functional, state of the art surgical facility. MeloTel assisted us when we went paperless a couple years ago in replacing and restructuring our computer hardware and network. They have been providing us with IT support ever since. Whether it be remote sessions that are required, or on site visits, the service MeloTel provides is always quick and efficient. READ MORE"
“Global Mentoring Solutions (GMS) is a North American based, white labelled outsourced help desk provider that partners with major ISPs, eLearning Support Providers and mid-market IT Service Providers. With MeloTel’s telephone infrastructure services GMS is able to provide support for over 8,000 technical support interactions per month! GMS has been relying on MeloTel’s expertise and professional support services since 2010. READ MORE"