Doing business over the phone is a major part of each MeloTel work day. Practically every member of our team spends a significant amount of time on the phone speaking with clients on a daily basis. The same is likely true for your company. No matter how powerful social media continue to be, the telephone will never go out of style as a way for people to get into direct contact with one another.
But it’s important to use the telephone the right way. How hard could it be, right? You dial a number, you wait for a person to pick up and begin speaking. Sure, it may sound easy. But there’s a lot more to it than that. Especially if you’re looking to represent your brand in the most professional way possible, there are some very important steps to take in order to always give off the best of impressions.
Here are five things not to do with your business phone number:
1. Make it hard to locate. Before we can even begin discussing professional telephone etiquette, it’s important to discuss the ways in which you disseminate your business phone number. It should be readily available to your target audience via all of your company’s correspondence. Letterheads, business cards, your website and social media profiles should all clearly display your business phone number.
2. Make it hard to get a live representative when it’s called. There’s nothing wrong with an outgoing messaging system that prompts callers to press specific numbers in order to locate the appropriate representative. But you also don’t want to keep a customer waiting in the queue for too long. People like speaking to live representatives shortly after their calls have been placed. Be sure to get someone on the line that can help your caller in a quick amount of time.
3. Have no voicemail options. Understandably, there are going to be times when callers cannot get live representatives on the phone. Not every business in the world is a 24/7 operation. That being said, you’ll want to set up a clear and professional outgoing voice message for callers who contact you after hours. Simply having your business phone number ring out with no answering service is bound to give the impression that your company may not even exist!
4. Use it for personal use. It’s a good idea to keep your business phone number and your personal phone number separate and specifically used for different purposes. Don’t make the mistake of accidentally answering calls in a personal way – such as just saying “hello” – when an important client is calling you. When your business number is used, the caller expects professionalism on the other line at all times.
5. Have people waiting on hold for too long. We mentioned earlier that people like getting live representatives on the line quickly when they call during business hours. To reiterate, most customers like their issues to be handled expeditiously. And to be fair, this can’t always be the case. You may need some extra time to address the issue your caller has contacted you about. Be sure to let your callers know how long you may need them to hold. Long wait times often generate frustration. Try to avoid them.
At MeloTel, we proudly provide the solution to the above mentioned problems. We offer incredible VoIP-based Commercial Phone Services that provide all of the fascinating features necessary to help your business provide the best customer service possible over the phone. For more information, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-888-MELOTEL. You may also get a live representative to help you using our “Live Sales Chat”. Simply scroll to the upper right corner of our site!
“Imprezzio Marketing has been with MeloTel for 4 years and their service has been outstanding over the years. Their customer support team is always extremely helpful and always responds and resolves any issues that we have. Thank you MeloTel for providing us with such great service. READ MORE"
“When TK Enterprises found MeloTel 2 years ago, it was in a crisis situation. Our previous VoIP provider had left us in the lurch and within days, MeloTel had us back up and running and we’ve never looked back since. We started with VoIP services and have worked with them to bring our company’s technology levels up to be more cutting edge and competitive while reducing costs and mitigating risk the entire time. READ MORE"
“Benjamin Verde Incorporated has been a loyal MeloTel customer since 2013. We are able to provide a variety of Artist and Entertainment related solutions such as Web Hosting, Artist Marketing and Artist Funding to clients across Canada. By utilizing MeloTel’s robust products and services our agents are able to provide fast and efficient customer care to various radio stations, record companies, independent artist as well as popular international brands via Benjamin Verde’s VXCO.net portal. READ MORE"
“As the leaders in promotional advertising with over 25 years experience we strive to satisfy all of our clients’ needs when it comes to marketing them and their businesses. We go over and above to make sure that all of their advertising demands are met with no exceptions. MeloTel and Synergy have been in business together since providing exceptional VoIP and technical services. READ MORE"
“I have been a MeloTel customer since 2009 and wanted to tell you how much my whole office appreciates your services. Life becomes a lot easier when someone is there to help when we need it. That kind of service is why we will remain a loyal customer for many years to come. Thank you! READ MORE"
“Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute is a plastic surgery clinic, located in downtown Toronto. On site we have a fully functional, state of the art surgical facility. MeloTel assisted us when we went paperless a couple years ago in replacing and restructuring our computer hardware and network. They have been providing us with IT support ever since. Whether it be remote sessions that are required, or on site visits, the service MeloTel provides is always quick and efficient. READ MORE"
“Global Mentoring Solutions (GMS) is a North American based, white labelled outsourced help desk provider that partners with major ISPs, eLearning Support Providers and mid-market IT Service Providers. With MeloTel’s telephone infrastructure services GMS is able to provide support for over 8,000 technical support interactions per month! GMS has been relying on MeloTel’s expertise and professional support services since 2010. READ MORE"