Running a small business is a hard job. But that’s all the more reason to approach it with as diligent a mindset as possible. Unlike big-named corporations, you have a tougher task ahead of you by way of making your brand appear as professional as possible. Remember that, quite often, perception is everything. You may be excellent at what you do, but are you able to prove that to your clients?
In many instances, you do business over the phone. And the way that you conduct this business can often mean the difference between securing a new client and losing one forever. Adhering to specific business phone techniques can do a lot to uplift the image of your brand. By contrast, making particular business phone mistakes can cause irreparable harm to your company’s image. So it’s imperative that you avoid these mistakes!
Here are five business phone mistakes to avoid:
1. Using your personal number to conduct business. Everyone has a phone number they use for personal reasons. Your personal phone number should not be the one you give out to your business contacts. Instead, be sure to establish a business phone number that is used specifically to conduct business for your company. That way, you can also ensure that its voicemail greeting is professional and not of the run-of-the-mill “leave a message and I’ll call you back” variety.
2. Leaving a generic voicemail greeting. Speaking of voicemail, it’s important to use a business phone number so that your greeting can specifically address the needs of your clients. For example, it can provide information about your business hours and website. When you leave a voicemail greeting that sounds like your callers are people who are just your friends, it will not give callers the idea that you are as professional as you profess to be.
3. Having no voicemail at all. Can you believe that this still exists? It’s not as uncommon as you may think to call up a business only to have the phone ring endlessly without anyone answering it. If you haven’t invested in a voicemail solution, you’re certainly not doing your business any favours. In fact, it is likely that your caller will assume that your business no longer exists if it doesn’t even have an answering service with a professional voicemail greeting.
4. Answering the phone with a generic greeting. Of course, your voicemail greeting won’t even be an issue if you’re not answering the phone professionally. A simple “hello” is not going to cut it in the business world. It’s important that you answer the phone, knowing that a business is being called. “Hello, you’ve reached MeloTel, this is John, how can I help you today?” would be a good example of a professional greeting.
5. Not taking advantage of VoIP technology. Telephone services have come a long way. If you’re still using old school technology, you’re missing out on a long list of benefits that can greatly contribute to the success of your business. Voice over IP takes advantage of the internet to put you in touch with colleagues and clients all over the world in ways that were never before considered!
At MeloTel, we provide VoIP-based Commercial Phone Services to businesses all over Canada. We proudly specialize in helping companies transition from their traditional telephone systems to our robust and feature-filled cloud-based solution. Not to mention, we offer those who sign up a free Polycom Phone program! For more information, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-888-MELOTEL!
“Imprezzio Marketing has been with MeloTel for 4 years and their service has been outstanding over the years. Their customer support team is always extremely helpful and always responds and resolves any issues that we have. Thank you MeloTel for providing us with such great service. READ MORE"
“When TK Enterprises found MeloTel 2 years ago, it was in a crisis situation. Our previous VoIP provider had left us in the lurch and within days, MeloTel had us back up and running and we’ve never looked back since. We started with VoIP services and have worked with them to bring our company’s technology levels up to be more cutting edge and competitive while reducing costs and mitigating risk the entire time. READ MORE"
“Benjamin Verde Incorporated has been a loyal MeloTel customer since 2013. We are able to provide a variety of Artist and Entertainment related solutions such as Web Hosting, Artist Marketing and Artist Funding to clients across Canada. By utilizing MeloTel’s robust products and services our agents are able to provide fast and efficient customer care to various radio stations, record companies, independent artist as well as popular international brands via Benjamin Verde’s VXCO.net portal. READ MORE"
“As the leaders in promotional advertising with over 25 years experience we strive to satisfy all of our clients’ needs when it comes to marketing them and their businesses. We go over and above to make sure that all of their advertising demands are met with no exceptions. MeloTel and Synergy have been in business together since providing exceptional VoIP and technical services. READ MORE"
“I have been a MeloTel customer since 2009 and wanted to tell you how much my whole office appreciates your services. Life becomes a lot easier when someone is there to help when we need it. That kind of service is why we will remain a loyal customer for many years to come. Thank you! READ MORE"
“The transition to MeloTel has been exceptional on a number of levels. Cost savings of more than 50% compared to our old traditional multi-line system is a welcome benefit, but the service and features are what we are most pleased with. MeloTel gives us the capability to enhance our service to clients with features like “Find Me-Follow Me” which allows us to answer our main office lines from anywhere, at any time with our smart phones or soft phones. READ MORE"
“Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute is a plastic surgery clinic, located in downtown Toronto. On site we have a fully functional, state of the art surgical facility. MeloTel assisted us when we went paperless a couple years ago in replacing and restructuring our computer hardware and network. They have been providing us with IT support ever since. Whether it be remote sessions that are required, or on site visits, the service MeloTel provides is always quick and efficient. READ MORE"
“Global Mentoring Solutions (GMS) is a North American based, white labelled outsourced help desk provider that partners with major ISPs, eLearning Support Providers and mid-market IT Service Providers. With MeloTel’s telephone infrastructure services GMS is able to provide support for over 8,000 technical support interactions per month! GMS has been relying on MeloTel’s expertise and professional support services since 2010. READ MORE"