Working on the phones is no easy job. Companies all over Canada hire phone representatives to handle tasks that many people say is far too difficult for them to do. That’s why hiring competent phone staff is an integral part of many businesses’ success. Again, it’s not the easiest job in the world to do. And this is especially true for phone representatives who are required to make cold calls. It certainly doesn’t come without rejection.
Overcoming rejections is perhaps the first and most important skill that a phone representative who makes cold calls can have. But when one works the phones, he or she must also possess a number of other skills. Perhaps, to put it more clearly, the employees who operate the phones at your company should follow some best practices that will best ensure them success. Here are six cool ways to make the best cold calls.
1. Break the ice. It’s hard to get to know someone that you’re meeting for the first time. Double that for trying to gain a person’s trust over the phone during your first conversation. Do your best to build some early trust and credibility by stating your name and the reason for your call in a genuine and down-to-earth way. Make it clear that you value the person’s time and that you can ensure that it will be spent wisely speaking with you.
2. Make a strong offer. Many phone representatives lack success due to the ways that they make offers. Refrain from asking questions that begin with “may I interest you in…”. It’s important to communicate the value of the product or service that you are offering and let your potential buyer know how it would be beneficial in his or her daily life. Be sure to communicate the value of the product or service you are offering so that it seems like a no-brainer to try.
3. Avoid distractions. Cold calling is a monotonous process. Let’s just come right out and say it. To be successful at it, you need to be focused. Try to not find excuses to get up from your work station. It will interrupt the flow of things. Instead, be equipped with necessary writing materials, product information and even drinks or other refreshments that will keep you comfortable at your desk. Give yourself specific calling blocks of time and stick to them to stay in a rhythm.
4. Don’t get discouraged. As mentioned earlier, rejection is big part of cold calling. You’re going to get it for the majority of your work day. Simply put, don’t let it bother you. Try and try again. The world’s best phone representatives are those who push pass all of the “no’s” in search for those all-important “yesses”. Once you’re able to let those supposed failures slide off of your back, you’ll be in the right position to attain success on the phone through cold calling.
5. Dress the part. No, your potential clients can’t see you through the phone. But when you dress for success, you’re more likely to achieve it. Believe it or not, this actually works. A dress shirt and slacks speaks to your professionalism and determination for success a lot more than blue jeans and a t-shirt do. If your business incorporates a dress code, follow it. But if it doesn’t, perhaps you should stick to one of your own.
6. Set goals. You can’t reach success if you don’t define what success is. Motivate yourself by setting specific targets that you plan on meeting each day. Break down your day in parts so that you can attain at least one sale within each block. That way, you’ll be better equipped to meet your quotas. In fact, you should be looking to surpass targets and hit marks to make you the most successful rep in your office!
Of course, no phone representative can do his or her job without a top-notch telephone system hooked up throughout the office. For more information on MeloTel’s Commercial Telephone services, call 1-888-MELOTEL.