Blogging may sound like an easy job. But there’s a lot more to it than you think. A good blog has interesting content that is engaging and worthy of further discussion. It also contains keywords that are relevant to your industry and, therefore, help for your website to get picked up in search engines. This is known as SEO (Search Engine Optimization). Blogs should also be written in a reader-friendly manner that doesn’t speak above the head of the average person.
Blogging also takes time. A smart blogger will research his/her subject material in order to appropriately reference sources of information. Most importantly, good blogging helps to generate business. When you give it enough time, your blog will become a great motivator for online users to check out your business. Are you regularly blogging on your company website? If so, how do you know that your blog is a good one?
Here are five signs you have an awesome blog:
1. It’s written in a reader-friendly way. We mentioned this earlier. But what does it really mean? Well, take this very blog post, for example. We’ve included a number of questions to get you thinking. We’ve also written this piece in a very conversational manner. Blogs should often be read as if they’re being spoken. They’re more like conversation pieces than they are news articles. This helps to keep the attention of the average reader for longer than normal.
2. Posts aren’t too long…or too short. An adequate blog should last between 7 and 10 paragraphs or so. There’s no definite rule on this, but it’s important to keep in mind that many busy online users don’t necessarily want to spend all day reading articles. Instead, a succinct blog entry that gets to the point by explaining the topic and summing it up within a few short paragraphs will get the most attention. Try to keep paragraphs between 4 and 6 sentences long as well.
3. It appropriately references sources. We mentioned this one earlier too. And it’s of vital importance. Plagiarism had no place in your high school English class. And it has no place on the internet either. One way to popularize your blog is to include links to various websites that share the type of information you’re blogging about. When you source this material, be sure to give credit and add the appropriate link. Not doing so is on par with stealing.
4. Blog posts include calls to action. At the end of the day, all blog posts are part of intelligent marketing campaigns. The objective of content marketing is to provide useful and interesting information that gets readers curious about what your company has to offer. Your blog posts should always include contact information that will encourage readers to either call or email you to inquire about your business.
5. It’s written by a professional. As mentioned earlier, blogs take time – the type of time the average business owner doesn’t usually have. That doesn’t mean that your blog should be whipped together simply for the sake of having a blog. Secure the help of a professional writer who can adequately write blogs about your industry. At MeloTel, we proudly have Bloggers & Creative Writers For Hire who are more than capable of doing the job!
We’ve been writing awesome blogs for a wide array of businesses across Canada for years! For more information, please don’t hesitate to contact us at 1-888-MELOTEL or use the “Live Chat Support” feature on our website!