It can be argued that excellent customer service is a language. It’s a specific way of communicating that involves heavy usage of certain words and the elimination of some others. “Can’t” and “won’t” are two words that should be eliminated. It’s important to inform customers of what your company is able to do for them to make them happy – not what it is unable to do so that dissatisfaction is the result.
“Happy”, by the way, is one of those all-important words that should be used throughout your interactions with your customers. When you communicate that you are “happy” to do something, it conveys that you’re not just doing your job because you have to. You’re saying that you enjoy improving the lives of your customers. It may be a subtle change in verbiage, but it has a huge impact on the way that people perceive your brand.
So what other words should you be using throughout each interaction with your customers? Here are five can’t-go-wrong customer service phrases:
1. “I can understand how that would make you feel”. Empathy is huge in the world of customer service. When learning of a problem experienced by a customer, it’s important that you take a moment to acknowledge how that problem may have presented an inconvenience. Putting yourself in your customer’s “shoes” will help to alleviate some of the tension that may exist during your conversation. Seeing things from their perspective will vastly improve the quality of your service.
2. “Here’s what I’m going to do for you.” As we alluded to earlier, it’s important to highlight what you can do for your customers instead of what you can’t do for them. Of course, there will be times when your customers request the impossible. This form of verbiage helps to detract attention from that impossible request in order to place emphasis on a reasonable alternative. It all comes down to locating a feasible resolution.
3. “That’s a great question!” You always want to do what you can to make your customers feel comfortable. And that includes finding ways to make them feel at ease with asking questions. Some people fear asking questions that they think will make them sound stupid. Think with the mindset that no question is stupid if the answer in unknown. Show that you take pleasure in providing information and never give off the impression that it’s a nuisance.
4. “Thank you for bringing that to my attention.” You’re not perfect. And neither is your business. It is quite possible that there is a flaw with your products or services. When a customer informs you of an issue, be sure to express your gratitude. That person has just given you information about how to improve your business. Use the feedback to ensure that similar problems don’t exist in future.
5. “It was nice speaking with you.” When you let your customers know that it’s a joy – not a chore – to either take their calls or service them in person, it will be more of a joy for them to call you or visit your place of business. Customers greatly value their experiences with businesses, not just the products and services they buy from them. Be sure to communicate your pleasure in interacting with the people who support your brand.
At MeloTel, we strive to provide the best customer service in our industry. Using these can’t-go-wrong phrases and more, we work diligently on building our relationships with our customers. Please don’t hesitate to contact us to experience our brand of customer service for yourself! Be sure to ask us about our VoIP-based Commercial Phone Services. You may call us at 1-888-MELOTEL or use the “Live Chat” feature on our website!